Old 15-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Warren

Lady Blacksword wrote:
What you've all overlooked is that it's your stupid nagging that has
run Maggie off. You know, this NG has really gone down the toilet when
you have to throw blame about, and can't just say you're sorry and
e-mail her asking Maggie to come back.
This whole thing is just really pathetic.

No one, until now, has been throwing blame about.

If she's run off because she was informed why something she did was not
acceptable behavior, then that's her prerogative. All she needed to do
was not post binaries, and turn-off the html -- and she did that. But
*she* made a big deal about it. The response to that was to explain why
the customs were reasonable. That's the point that she decided that she
was going to leave.

So should we apologize for explaining why the customs exist, and why
those customs are reasonable? Should it have been left at the point of
her triad in which she said:

=I mean, whattaya gonna do, break my trowel? Banish me to the compost
heap?
=Forbid me to go cow pie picking next door in the pasture? Or ground me
and
=not allow me to play with the faeries?

She asked a question, too:

=and that sucking sound is the unmistakable sound of someone being a bit
=anal. And just when does posting a JPG of a gardening wonder
constitute
=being frowned upon?

It was answered. It was after she got a reasonable answer that she
decided to leave. She didn't leave, or even threaten to leave after
being asked not to post binaries or html. She decided to leave after it
was explained to her why she shouldn't.

So you want us to apologize to her for answering her question?

Staying away is her choice. Coming back will be her choice as well. She
said,

=Despite just having to only correct the problem,
=I think I need to back off for awhile

If this discussion is so pathetic, than it should stop. It should have
stopped a day and a half ago, but obviously this topic is of great
interest to people, including yourself, because it's been kept alive --
in two separate threads, no less -- by the people in the group. It's not
crossposted, so we can't even blame outsiders. This "pathetic"
discussion continues because people continue to show an interest in it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html

Old 15-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Travis

Leon Trollski wrote:
"Warren" wrote in message

Discussion groups are about using words to communicate. Fancy
formatting doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. It has
nothing to do with how long ago Usenet began, or what technology
was in use at the time.

No doubt that is true in the formal sense

You also seem to make the assumption that everyone is using up to
date equipment, and is running software that includes html
capabilities for newsgroup reading. However, since html doesn't
belong in newsgroups, it's unfair to insist that the reader needs
to change their client software because you want to add some
unnecessary fluff. It also causes problems for blind people and
the software they use to read text.

I don't know what assumptions were made. Some folks make mistakes.

If someone really has a problem with adopting the norms of conduct
in the community, then they need to convince the community that
the norms need to be changed. What does html add to the
discussion? Simply believing that others should "deal with it on
their end" when there was no reason to inflict it on them in the
first place doesn't cut it.

OK here's a dumb question, but why can't the servers strip out the
html for except for binary groups?

The servers see the HTML as text because that is what it is.

Just because you have 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you can make your
own exit ramps off the Interstate. You still should be using the
same exit ramps that were put in when the highway was designed. If
you want a new ramp, make your case for it, and let the community
decide. Don't just start driving off the road, and expect others
to "deal with it on their end".

Just because you're another user don't mean you should play cop.
Let the admin decide, complain if you like, but keep your
insufferable holy crusade for worthy topics.

There is no admin in usenet.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 16-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Leon Trollski

"Warren" wrote in message

If she's run off because she was informed why something she did was not
acceptable behavior, then that's her prerogative. All she needed to do
was not post binaries, and turn-off the html -- and she did that. But
*she* made a big deal about it.

plonk, Warren. There is no value in tittle-tattle.

Old 16-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Lady Blacksword

Sorry Janet, if she doesn't let you use her more personal nickname. But I
know her as Maggie.
Murri

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message 1110913202.ceacd00e7e5d001b18efa99ec23dc924@teran ews
from "Lady Blacksword" contains these words:

What you've all overlooked is that it's your stupid nagging that has run
Maggie off.

You're mistaken. Nobody nagged her or ran her off, and her name is
Marilyn not Maggie.

FYI, she has a history of posting " I'm in a stew and taking a break"
when she needs some time to sort herself out.From experience, she'll
recover her equilibrium and return to the group when she's ready.

Janet

Old 16-03-2005, 03:06 AM
Travis

Leon Trollski wrote:
"Warren" wrote in message

If she's run off because she was informed why something she did
was not acceptable behavior, then that's her prerogative. All she
needed to do was not post binaries, and turn-off the html -- and
she did that. But *she* made a big deal about it.

plonk, Warren. There is no value in tittle-tattle.

What?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 16-03-2005, 03:33 AM
Warren

Travis wrote:
Leon Trollski wrote:
plonk, Warren. There is no value in tittle-tattle.

What?

He plonked you last week, so he'll never see this.

Pretty soon he'll have plonked everyone, and he'll be posting a "how come I
haven't seen any posts in the last week?" message.

Unless, of course, he really didn't plonk us, and is only pretending to ignore
people.

Old 16-03-2005, 05:29 AM
Travis

Warren wrote:
Travis wrote:
Leon Trollski wrote:
plonk, Warren. There is no value in tittle-tattle.

What?

He plonked you last week, so he'll never see this.

Pretty soon he'll have plonked everyone, and he'll be posting a
"how come I haven't seen any posts in the last week?" message.

Unless, of course, he really didn't plonk us, and is only
pretending to ignore people.

So does "tittle-tattle" have a meaning or is it just something he made
up?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 16-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Leon Trollski

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message HuPZd.2914$uw6.2663@trnddc06
from "Travis" contains these words:

So does "tittle-tattle" have a meaning or is it just something he made
up?

It's a British phrase meaning idle gossip. Perhaps Leon reads
"Tattler", a magazine for idle gossipers. Another phrase we use is
"arse about tit", which describes someone who gets things back to
front....who might also be called a "tit", an unmanly male of low
intelligence. "Tat" is rubbish, as spoken by trolls, and "tit for tat",
is when some tit gets what was coming to him.

Janet

British phrases have a stronger hold in Canada than some may think.

Old 18-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Hound Dog

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message 1110913202.ceacd00e7e5d001b18efa99ec23dc924@teran ews
from "Lady Blacksword" contains these words:

What you've all overlooked is that it's your stupid nagging that has run
Maggie off.

You're mistaken. Nobody nagged her or ran her off, and her name is
Marilyn not Maggie.

FYI, she has a history of posting " I'm in a stew and taking a break"
when she needs some time to sort herself out.From experience, she'll
recover her equilibrium and return to the group when she's ready.

Janet

She seems like a nice, well intentioned person, but she also seems to need
special help that she will never receive from this nor any other newsgroups.

Old 22-03-2005, 02:39 PM
madgardener

"Hound Dog" wrote in message
... snip, snip, snip

The message 1110913202.ceacd00e7e5d001b18efa99ec23dc924@teran ews
from "Lady Blacksword" contains these words:

What you've all overlooked is that it's your stupid nagging that has

run
Maggie off.

nahhhh, I'm still here.......just been up to my eyeballs in daily routines
that would break an ordinary person, but things could be worse..........g

You're mistaken. Nobody nagged her or ran her off, and her name is
Marilyn not Maggie.

that's right! (and that could have been taken as just a slip of the fingers
on the keyboards, Murri.......gbseg)

FYI, she has a history of posting " I'm in a stew and taking a break"
when she needs some time to sort herself out.From experience, she'll
recover her equilibrium and return to the group when she's ready.

Janet

and Janet knows me well........((hug))

She seems like a nice, well intentioned person, but

hmmm, sticking in the but means you are retracting the compliment that I am
a nice, well intentioned person (which I really am most times) but I
appreciate the compliment that you threw my way...............

she also seems to need
special help that she will never receive from this nor any other

newsgroups.

I don't need any special help, nor have I asked for such from this newsgroup
or any other that I may have visited. The only other one I rarely visit is
alt.bianaries.gardens.pictures, and that's not nearly as often as I come
here. This is my neighborhood, and I won't ever be gone long unless the
computer refuses me, and even then I'll eventually return. Most problems
can be fixed. Now if I could only figure out how to zip up JPG's to send to
my garden friends who e-mail me outside the newsgroup, I'd be set!

spring post coming soon as I get the words untangled from my fingers.
Thanks for the thought that I might need help,though. It's appreciated
though misdirected.
madgardener

Old 22-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Travis

madgardener wrote:

snip

Now if I could only figure out how to zip up JPG's to send to my
garden
friends who e-mail me outside the newsgroup, I'd be set!

JPG's are already compressed so zipping them will not make them much
smaller if at all. You could use www.IrfanView.com the free viewer to
make them smaller.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 24-03-2005, 11:59 AM
dps

Travis wrote:
... JPG's are already compressed so zipping them will not make them much
smaller if at all. You could use www.IrfanView.com the free viewer to
make them smaller.

If you don't know about IrfanView yet, it's time you did. It's an
all-purpose image viewer and basic editor. It does 99% (my estimate)of
all the photo editing most people will ever do: crop, resize,
brightness/contrast adjustment, red eye reduction, rotate (by any
angle), converting from one image format (BMP, JPG, etc...) to another,
making contact sheets, adding text to images, sharpen, etc., etc. It
allows you to look at exif data from digital photos (which contain
picture date/time, and other information about the camera).

It does all that faster than the fancy photo editors.

It's free for the downloading.

True, there are some things it doesn't do, so don't uninstall your fancy
photo editor, but IrfanView will probably become your first line of
editing if you try it.

I have no pecuniary or social interest in IrfanView. I just think it's a
great program.

Since much of gardening is visual, a discussion of photo editing is
relevant to this newsgroup.