Old 14-03-2005, 03:16 PM
madgardener

Default Posting wrongfully in HTML instead of plain text and posting JPG's

Well, I see that I have been rightfully accused and condemmed of wrongfully
posting in HTML and posting a JPG on this text newsgroup. I have to say
that I am not a selfish person, nor do I think that anything I do or say is
of importance. That I've managed to step on the feelings and attitudes so
very efficiently lately shows me that I need to back off and retreat.

I am NOT saying this to get responses for me "not to leave!" I am not
asking for such things. It's really hard for me to lurk and not respond to
things because I truely enjoy and need to visit and contribute to this
newsgroup. I've been here for over seven years, and despite that in the
past, so many enjoyed my postings about my fairy gardens and adventures
about the cats, dogs and such, I think that it has come time to pull out for
awhile.

I can't seem to get anything right lately,and that isn't meant as pity or
blame or excuse. My job at Lowes doesn't have any schedule that is
consistant, or enough hours to make it worth my time to drive not only
myself to work which is only 14 miles one way, but to take oldest son to
another Lowes which is 47 miles away, one way.

I have close shifts all this week, and then next week, as a wonderful thing,
I have ALTERNATE days off. work, off, work, off, work, off. This will make
me slightly mad (as in crazy). Bad enough I don't know sometimes if I'm
coming or going with this job. And I can't afford to just give notice and
get another job. I am still in an area where to quit a job that pays $7.80
an hour (despite not getting or being allowed to work more than 27 hours) is
foolish when the alternative is work at a job that still won't give me more
hours and pay me minimum wages.

Getting back to my rudeness and irresponsibility........I never meant to
cause deletion of posts. I still grieve over the loss and inability to
retrieve my previous posts from years past when I first came here. It's
just a feeling, and eventually I'll get over it.

But I will say that the people here (most of them, about 99%) have kept me
from major depression and given me a reason to not only continue gardening,
but to see the magic in every blossom and textured leaf and Nature around me
better. For what little bit it's worth (and I hate to admit my weakness), I
really DO care what people think or say about me, meaning I guess after 52
years I still have feelings despite years of verbal and emotional abuse.

Warren, Travis, Janet......I sincerely apologize for disrupting this
newsgroup. I had no idea how ****ed off or inconsiderate it was to not only
post in HTML or post a picture that I thought was awesome for me to capture
even for a novice like myself. You can be assured you will not see me here
for quite awhile and I will just visit some of the garden neighborhood
friends thru e-mail as I can.

As giving and generous and I have always been, to have been accused of being
selfish cuts pretty well. Despite just having to only correct the problem,
I think I need to back off for awhile and despite that this is my most
magical time of the year to share the gifts of my 9 raised beds, it's just
not right for me to assume anything anymore. Bad enough that newsgroups
are being dropped. I only go to one. This one. That's been it (with rare
exception to alt.bianaries.pictures.gardens, which like I said, I never get
to see pictures I see remarks about anyway and seems to be a waste of time,
and I've posted there a few times.)

So with great emotion, I'll walk away. I'll possibly be back before spring
is over. I probably rely too much on this computer and newsgroup anyway.
Time to get back outside in the soil and dirt and anything neat I want to
share, I'll just send thru e-mail if I get overcome by words.

Marilyn the madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 14-03-2005, 04:57 PM
paghat

In article , "madgardener" wrote:

Well, I see that I have been rightfully accused and condemmed of wrongfully
posting in HTML and posting a JPG on this text newsgroup. I have to say
that I am not a selfish person, nor do I think that anything I do or say is
of importance.

But it is.

That I've managed to step on the feelings and attitudes so
very efficiently lately shows me that I need to back off and retreat.

I didn't catch what someone said to you, but posting in html is one of
those things usually only beginners do & some people respond to it in a
kneejerk way, as "You retard, turn off your html!" It's just "I'm Annoyed
So I'll Be Annoying 101" & it has nothing really to do with you. The best
response is to turn off the accidentally on html feature & ignore the
complainant.

I am NOT saying this to get responses for me "not to leave!" I am not
asking for such things. It's really hard for me to lurk and not respond to
things because I truely enjoy and need to visit and contribute to this
newsgroup. I've been here for over seven years, and despite that in the
past, so many enjoyed my postings about my fairy gardens and adventures
about the cats, dogs and such, I think that it has come time to pull out for
awhile.

Your posts are important here but now & then you get your feelings hurt,
in some cases for no good reason. Somewhere between 95% & 99% of the
people who post in here look forward to your posts & if that's not
sufficient reward you're just being egomaniacal to demand 100%.

[...]

My suspicion is you're just having a depression attack & it's not this
ng's fault, though if this ng doesn't help then it's your call whether its
sufficiently rewarding to keep poking in. Things of no consequence seem
big when one's general mood is gloomy. A week from now I bet you'll
realize that if someone said you're a selfish dork for of all things
posting in html, that's not even on the radar for reasons to feel misery
about UseNet. On the other hand, if there are things that need getting
done that don't get done because the computer has been too much fun,
anything you stop doing on the computer will likely be a good thing,
though I hope there are other things than this ng you can cut out.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 14-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Jeana

paghat wrote:
In article , "madgardener" wrote:

My suspicion is you're just having a depression attack & it's not this
ng's fault, though if this ng doesn't help then it's your call whether its
sufficiently rewarding to keep poking in. Things of no consequence seem
big when one's general mood is gloomy.

I agree with paghat. Besides, almost everyday I peek in here to see what
your doing/saying. Everyone in this world makes boo boos. Just put on
yer foil hat, let the stuff bounce right off and you'll be fine.

Jean
Old 14-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Leon Trollski

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

This was not pleasant to read. I wish I could convince madgardener to come
back to the group, and learn how to killfile helpful people like Travis.
There was nothing wrong with the broken glass post. I liked it.

Old 14-03-2005, 10:22 PM
cat daddy

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message

"madgardener" wrote in message
Well, I see that I have been rightfully accused and condemmed of

wrongfully
posting in HTML and posting a JPG on this text newsgroup. I have to say
that I am not a selfish person, nor do I think that anything I do or say

is
of importance. That I've managed to step on the feelings and attitudes

so
very efficiently lately shows me that I need to back off and retreat.

snip

This was not pleasant to read. I wish I could convince madgardener to

come
back to the group, and learn how to killfile helpful people like Travis.
There was nothing wrong with the broken glass post. I liked it.

I didn't see it. My service provider filters it because they consider it
abuse. I like mad's posts, but ballooning a 3k post to 26K of unreadable
script is not okay and those that point it out are right. Posting binaries
could also get her account cancelled and cautioning her not to do so is an
act of kindness.

The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Usenet
http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usenet/guide/guide.html

Do not post messages formatted in HTML

If you need help on configuring your newsreader software to post in plain
text see http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html.
2.5 Configuring Microsoft Outlook Express versions 5.0 and 6.0
Plain text is the default posting format for news in these versions of
Outlook Express. Here is how to change it back globally if necessary:

Choose 'Tools-Options' from the menu.
Choose the 'Send' tab.
Choose the 'Plain Text' radio button under 'News Sending Format'.
Click the OK button.

You can also configure the default posting format for news servers (not
groups) individually:

Highlight the server entry in the 'Folders' pane and choose
'File-Properties' from the menu.
Choose the 'Advanced' tab.
Check the 'Ignore news sending format and post using' checkbox under
'Posting'.
Choose the 'Plain Text' radio button.
Click the OK button.

Do not post binaries to non-binary newsgroups.

With spam, this is considered as serious net-abuse; it violates most
service providers' Terms of Service (TOS), or Acceptable Use Policy (AUP),
and so could lead to you losing your account. If you are in any doubts as to
whether you are posting a binary or not, there is a simple rule of thumb -
if it is not a straight ASCII text message, then don't post it in a
non-binary newsgroup. Your graphic or soundfile might be 100% on-topic for
the group you're posting to but if it is a non-binary newsgroup, it is
net-abuse. Period. No exceptions. Ever. Put it on a website and post a
message to the group saying what the URL is so that people who are
interested can find it.

Old 14-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Play4abuck

[...]

Hello,

I must say this sort of things must happen in every newsgroup. You have
got the spelling cops, the size limit police, the appropriate guardians,
etc, all of which have their place in the newsgroup world. And then they
have their followers; those that want to jump on the bandwagon to feel
important because they have nothing else to contribute, some people just
like to argue.

In this case I think there was some confusion over html-formatted text
versus posting binary/pictures. Some one offered to share a picture via
email, another html formatted msg requested the picture, then some
complained about THAT msg which only requested an email. Then more confusion
about posting versus emailing, and then we get a lecture on posting binaries
to a rec.gardens which no one intended on doing in the first place.

These people with all their technical know-how fail to say that most can
add; filters to hide your posts, filters to hide posts that are of a certain
size so they are not downloaded, options that can be set to not download
msgs larger than a set limit, and the option to read your msgs as Plain Text
if they do not like your formatted text!

Just the other week someone pointed out to me that I was posting in HTML. I
had changed computers and did not know that option was turned on. I shut it
off, because it doubles the size of the message and I was not using any
special format in the first place. If I wanted it formatted, then I would
have left it on, doubling the size of a text message is not that big of
deal. Many of us waste space and bandwidth every day when we unnecessarily
include the original msg in our replies.

IMO, Newsgroup rules have not evolved, they are set back in the times when
people had Commodore-64's and 1200/2400-baud modems and no one wanted to
download 1 byte more than they had too. Some of us really need get with the
times, this is not Rec.Gardens.Text but it is also not a Binary/Picture
newsgroup either. I think you should be able to post html (as in formatted
text) to Rec.Gardens. IMO, if some individual really has a problem with
that, then they need to deal with it on their end.

I am just a part-timer here, but I can see that this newsgroup is important
to you and I am sure that your posts are equally important to others. Do
not let this event discourage you from posting here. Shake hands, bury the
hatchet, and move on to more important things!

Great picture, I just had to check it out after all this discussion. I have
been wanting to create a home printed calendar, may I use your pic for one
of the months? Got any more?

For others who wish to see it, you can find it in the Newsgroups:
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

From: "madgardener"

Subject: a kiss of spring early

Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 14-03-2005, 11:42 PM
alice

So with great emotion, I'll walk away. I'll possibly be back before
spring
is over. I probably rely too much on this computer and newsgroup anyway.
Time to get back outside in the soil and dirt and anything neat I want to
share, I'll just send thru e-mail if I get overcome by words.

Marilyn the madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Faerie Holler,
overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

I rarely post in newsgroups but read this one a lot and feel you have a lot
to add.
I would not let anybody force me out of a group that I enjoy and add to. You
are
an excellent writer and this gives you are area to do it. Do what you have
to do but
it would be good to toughen up a bit with that good Appalachian heritage..

Alice, Over the mountain in Weaverville, NC.

Old 15-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Travis

madgardener wrote:
[...]

I never intended to chase you or anyone else away. I was just trying to
be helpful. I enjoy reading your posts. Why can't you see the pix in
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 15-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article , "madgardener"
wrote:

Well, I see that I have been rightfully accused and condemmed of
wrongfully posting in HTML and posting a JPG on this text
newsgroup. I have to say that I am not a selfish person, nor do I
think that anything I do or say is of importance.

But it is.

That I've managed to step on the feelings and attitudes so
very efficiently lately shows me that I need to back off and
retreat.

I didn't catch what someone said to you, but posting in html is one
of those things usually only beginners do & some people respond to
it in a kneejerk way, as "You retard, turn off your html!"

I didn't say anything like that. I said "Posting in HTML is frowned
upon" or words to that effect.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 15-03-2005, 01:01 AM
Warren

Play4abuck wrote:
IMO, Newsgroup rules have not evolved, they are set back in the times
when
people had Commodore-64's and 1200/2400-baud modems and no one wanted
download 1 byte more than they had too. Some of us really need get
with the
times, this is not Rec.Gardens.Text but it is also not a
Binary/Picture
newsgroup either. I think you should be able to post html (as in
formatted
text) to Rec.Gardens. IMO, if some individual really has a problem
with
that, then they need to deal with it on their end.

Discussion groups are about using words to communicate. Fancy formatting
doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. It has nothing to do with
how long ago Usenet began, or what technology was in use at the time.

You also seem to make the assumption that everyone is using up to date
equipment, and is running software that includes html capabilities for
newsgroup reading. However, since html doesn't belong in newsgroups,
it's unfair to insist that the reader needs to change their client
software because you want to add some unnecessary fluff. It also causes
problems for blind people and the software they use to read text.

If someone really has a problem with adopting the norms of conduct in
the community, then they need to convince the community that the norms
need to be changed. What does html add to the discussion? Simply
believing that others should "deal with it on their end" when there was
no reason to inflict it on them in the first place doesn't cut it.

Just because you have 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you can make your own
exit ramps off the Interstate. You still should be using the same exit
ramps that were put in when the highway was designed. If you want a new
ramp, make your case for it, and let the community decide. Don't just
start driving off the road, and expect others to "deal with it on their
end".

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html

Old 15-03-2005, 01:04 AM
Warren

Travis wrote:
I never intended to chase you or anyone else away. I was just trying
to be helpful. I enjoy reading your posts. Why can't you see the pix
in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens?

Ditto.

If someone says, "you really need to care for that plant differently",
the reaction expected isn't for the plant owner to give-up gardening.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 15-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Leon Trollski

"Warren" wrote in message

Discussion groups are about using words to communicate. Fancy formatting
doesn't contribute anything to the discussion. It has nothing to do with
how long ago Usenet began, or what technology was in use at the time.

No doubt that is true in the formal sense

You also seem to make the assumption that everyone is using up to date
equipment, and is running software that includes html capabilities for
newsgroup reading. However, since html doesn't belong in newsgroups,
it's unfair to insist that the reader needs to change their client
software because you want to add some unnecessary fluff. It also causes
problems for blind people and the software they use to read text.

I don't know what assumptions were made. Some folks make mistakes.

If someone really has a problem with adopting the norms of conduct in
the community, then they need to convince the community that the norms
need to be changed. What does html add to the discussion? Simply
believing that others should "deal with it on their end" when there was
no reason to inflict it on them in the first place doesn't cut it.

OK here's a dumb question, but why can't the servers strip out the html for
except for binary groups?

Just because you have 4-wheel drive doesn't mean you can make your own
exit ramps off the Interstate. You still should be using the same exit
ramps that were put in when the highway was designed. If you want a new
ramp, make your case for it, and let the community decide. Don't just
start driving off the road, and expect others to "deal with it on their
end".

Just because you're another user don't mean you should play cop. Let the
admin decide, complain if you like, but keep your insufferable holy crusade
for worthy topics.

Old 15-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Lady Blacksword

What you've all overlooked is that it's your stupid nagging that has run
Maggie off. You know, this NG has really gone down the toilet when you have
to throw blame about, and can't just say you're sorry and e-mail her asking
Maggie to come back.
This whole thing is just really pathetic.
Murri

Old 15-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Warren

Leon Trollski wrote:
OK here's a dumb question, but why can't the servers strip out the
html for
except for binary groups?

The server only stores the message. If the message is long enough, or if
it includes a mime-type header, the server can drop the message, and not
store it. Even if there was enough server resources available to do the
kind of editing you're proposing, it would open the server admin to
liability for editing the content of messages.

Just because you're another user don't mean you should play cop. Let
the
admin decide, complain if you like, but keep your insufferable holy
crusade
for worthy topics.

No one is playing cop. No one has the authority to enforce any rules.

If you've been following the thread you'd understand that there is no
moderator, and the admin is only interested in how much server space is
available.

Pointing out to folks what the customs are, and why they're the customs
is not a holy crusade, and if it's insufferable, you're welcome ignore
it. But ignore the societal customs at the peril of being insufferable
yourself. You pointing out to me that you think I should keep my
"insufferable holy crusade for worthy topics" is no different than how
this all started. Someone advised someone else that they acted in a way
that wasn't approved of. So are you playing cop now?

--
Warren H.