GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Three sisters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91026-three-sisters.html)

William Barger 16-03-2005 07:10 PM

Three sisters

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using
the Native American method?
Bill

Tony 16-03-2005 08:24 PM

Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as
Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Greg 17-03-2005 07:02 AM

"Tony" wrote in message
"William Barger" wrote in message
Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using
the Native American method?
Bill

Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as
Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Did they happen to mention why it is not such a great idea?

Frogleg 17-03-2005 11:58 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:02:56 -0500, "Greg" wrote:

"Tony" wrote
"William Barger" wrote

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using
the Native American method?

Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as
Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Did they happen to mention why it is not such a great idea?

Corn and beans can grow together happily, with the beans using the
cornstalks for support. Squash, however, requires a lot of room and a
lot of sun, and is better off away from the shade of a cornpatch.

Callen Molenda 17-03-2005 03:05 PM

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:02:56 -0500, "Greg" wrote:

"Tony" wrote
"William Barger" wrote

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash)

using
the Native American method?

Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as
Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Did they happen to mention why it is not such a great idea?

Corn and beans can grow together happily, with the beans using the
cornstalks for support. Squash, however, requires a lot of room and a
lot of sun, and is better off away from the shade of a cornpatch.

My father tried this a couple of years ago and whether due to his
inexperience, or the method not being great, it wasn't a success.

Callen in VA

Bill B 17-03-2005 03:25 PM

William Barger wrote:
Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using
the Native American method?
Bill

I tried it and won't do it again. The squash will grow rampantly under
the corn and it's impossible to harvest the corn without having to step
on the squash vines. Production of the squash wasn't too great either.
Getting into the corn patch to pick beans was a hassle also. This year
each will have it's own separate growing area. I like to hill up the
corn due to high wind problems here and it's nye impossible with squash
and beans inter planted with the corn.

Cheryl Isaak 17-03-2005 07:13 PM

On 3/17/05 10:05 AM, in article ,
"Callen Molenda" wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:02:56 -0500, "Greg" wrote:

"Tony" wrote
"William Barger" wrote

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash)

using
the Native American method?

Yes and the information I have found from Extension Agencies as well as
Texas A&M says its not such a great idea.

Did they happen to mention why it is not such a great idea?

Corn and beans can grow together happily, with the beans using the
cornstalks for support. Squash, however, requires a lot of room and a
lot of sun, and is better off away from the shade of a cornpatch.

My father tried this a couple of years ago and whether due to his
inexperience, or the method not being great, it wasn't a success.

Callen in VA

I've seen it done up in NE - I wonder if the cooler temps help the grower.

Cheryl

William Brown 17-03-2005 07:47 PM

We grow squash amid our corn, with good results, although sometimes its
hard to get to the squash for harvest. This is in zone 6 in Ohio.

William Barger wrote:

Has anyone planted the three sister (corn,green beans, and squash) using
the Native American method?
Bill

there.