GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ** Queen Palms / 2 dead, 2 dying, 2 alive / Ganoderma / Fungi ?? ** (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91043-%2A%2A-queen-palms-2-dead-2-dying-2-alive-ganoderma-fungi-%2A%2A.html)

[email protected] 16-03-2005 08:12 PM

** Queen Palms / 2 dead, 2 dying, 2 alive / Ganoderma / Fungi ?? **

I have lost 2 Queen Palm trees within the last 3-5 months, 2 seem to
look like they are dying and 2 are still nicely alive. Someone told me
that I have Ganoderma but I did not see any mushrooms around. You can
see all of some digital pictures I took at:

http://www.consumergroup.com/palms/

files: DVC00080.JPG - DVC00091.JPG are the Queen Palms which are
dying. The only really strange item I saw was pictu DVC00098.JPG
which was some sort of flower / fungi I saw growing out of the soil
about 1 foot away from a dead palms trunk.

Pictures: DVC00092.JPG - DVC00097.JPG are some pictures of 3 coconut
palms in the back yard which I was just wondering if anyone thinks
there are any problems with them which look aparant.

I may add a few more pictures shortly if the sun can help bring out
some better colors on these items then it did when I took them before.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice someone can offer.

The Queen palm closest to DVC00098.JPG started off with about 3 or so
fronds looking dried up and brown with a bit of green at the top and
then that faded. Finally the crown seemed to just tip over and it now
seems totally dead.. This took a number of months to occur. I had
been watering with the sprinklers about once every other day and have
since cut it back to about 2 times / week.

-David

glenon 16-03-2005 09:38 PM

I looked at the pix, where do you live? I am in SW Fl very near the gulf
and have two queen palms that are doing well. One thing I noticed in your
photos is that there are plants all around the base, along with leaves, and
rich moist soil. This may be the problem. I believe that they tend to like
drier bases, like most trees. So, there may be a problem with rot. Other
folks may be able to diagnose better, I just grow them in my yard! Oh yes,
I also thought of something else - if these were planted as grown trees in a
subdivision, they may not have a good root ball or were improperly planted.
Also I keep my coverings of the bark (the base of the fronds when the fronds
are dead) on the tree, I like the look and they catch more water. Palms are
shallow-rooted grasses. Good luck!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Toni 17-03-2005 11:36 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Queen palm closest to DVC00098.JPG started off with about 3 or so
fronds looking dried up and brown with a bit of green at the top and
then that faded. Finally the crown seemed to just tip over and it now
seems totally dead.. This took a number of months to occur. I had
been watering with the sprinklers about once every other day and have
since cut it back to about 2 times / week.

Are these trees being fed?
They all look like they need a good feeding to me.

Queen Palms need supplemental palm food and additional applications of
manganese 2-3 times a year- those are the recommendations I follow at any
rate.
They are susceptible to "frizzle top" if a manganese deficiency is allowed
to develop. Frizzle top can indeed kill your palms.

--
Toni Carroll
South Florida USA