Old 17-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Default I need desperate help here guys and gals!!!!!!

Hi everyone!

I am doing this gift for my Papa for his birthday which is next week!
It deals with researching all the apples (around a hundred varieties)
in his orchard. Now, I am stuck with some-I can't find much about
certain varieties. Please, could you take a look at the list below and
send me all you know about each one, especially the things I list next
to them. I need this information very, very soon since his b-day is
next week! Thank you so much everyone!

Summer Russet (also called Sweet Russet): The History behind it

Red Baron: The history behind it

Earliblaze: the History behind it

Stark Jumbo: When are they usually harvested here (in MI) and how long
can they be stored and the history behind it

Stark Earliest: Everything you can think of!

Jonadel: The history behind it

That's it, I think (I hope)!

Mandy

Old 17-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone!

I am doing this gift for my Papa for his birthday which is next week!
It deals with researching all the apples (around a hundred varieties)
in his orchard. Now, I am stuck with some-I can't find much about
certain varieties. Please, could you take a look at the list below and
send me all you know about each one, especially the things I list next
to them. I need this information very, very soon since his b-day is
next week! Thank you so much everyone!

Browse he
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/about/about.html

.....and/or call the place. I'll bet you'll find someone who can help in some
way.

If not, go he
http://www.fowlerfarms.com/
.....and call the place. This is probably the largest apple grower in New
York State. I'm suggesting it for this reason: Somewhere within an hour of
here, in the Finger Lakes region, there's a research facility that has the
largest variety of ancient apple trees in America. It might be the first
link I gave you, or not. I have a book that would provide the name, but I
loaned it to a friend. So, if you call Fowler Farms, you can probably find
someone who knows the name of the place.

Old 17-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Leon Trollski

Are you serious?

Here in Canada we have a n ew one called "Ambrosia", an accidental discovery
now taking the market by storm.

Old 18-03-2005, 06:45 AM
sherwindu

The best reference for Apple tree varieties is the 'Fruit, Berry, and Nut
Inventory',
put out by Seed Savers Exchange (www.SeedSavers.org). You can check with
your local library, university, botanic garden, field station, etc. for a copy.
For example,
it lists the Red Baron as being developed at the University of Minnesota in
1969, and is
a cross between MN 1500 (their private stock), Golden Delicious, and
Daniels Red Duchess. Of course, you can always Google on the Apple variety and
possibly find some results, as well.

Sherwin D.

Old 19-03-2005, 02:52 PM

Thank you everyone! I think I might have finished my search. I'm going
to try to pick up a copy of that book you suggested. And yep, I'm
serious about the 100! LOL