GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can i plant my cannas yet? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91125-can-i-plant-my-cannas-yet.html)

woodrow 19-03-2005 01:29 AM

can i plant my cannas yet?

I live in zone 7 and although we are still having freezes, they are of
the 30 or 31 degree variety, not colder. Can I plant my cannas or do
I need to wait until it stops freezing at all?

Starlord 19-03-2005 01:36 PM

wait until the freezing is well past, a simple test, take a oven temp gague
and stick it in the ground, if under 40F don't plant, over 40 plant. Canna
are HEAT loving plants. I live in zone 8 High Mojave desert and can leave
mine in the ground as any freeze we get is just an hour or two and not deep,
so my canna store up food during the winter and by spring time start growing
new roots and shoots. I've already got new shoot above ground.

http://home.inreach.com/starlord/canna

Telescope Buyers FAQ

Cereus-validus..... 20-03-2005 12:00 AM

You pretty much answered your own question, didn't you?

No, you can't plant them yet.

Darren Garrison 22-03-2005 06:04 PM

On 20 Mar 2005 19:25:08 -0800, wrote:

I live in zone 7b and I don't dig my canna's. They do fine for me, in
fact, they have all started to sprout :)

Same here, in 7b South Carolina. I haven't planted cannas myself before last year, but everywhere
areound here there are people with beds of cannas that are NEVER taken up.

PatK 22-03-2005 06:29 PM

Darren Garrison wrote:
On 20 Mar 2005 19:25:08 -0800, wrote:

I live in zone 7b and I don't dig my canna's. They do fine for me, in
fact, they have all started to sprout :)

Same here, in 7b South Carolina. I haven't planted cannas myself before last year, but everywhere
areound here there are people with beds of cannas that are NEVER taken up.

I live in zone 5/6 and don't ever dig my cannas up in the winter. They
come back fine and I've even got two bags of extras that I had to dig up
because they were popping way up out of the ground. I planted three
bulbs in one spot last year and pulled up at least a dozen extras from
the same spot in October.
Pat