GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   do i leave crocus bulbs in ground or dig up? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91414-do-i-leave-crocus-bulbs-ground-dig-up.html)

steve 25-03-2005 03:20 PM

do i leave crocus bulbs in ground or dig up?

Here in the UK the crocus bulbs I put in the Autumn for the first time
are coming to the end of their flowering.

My question is should I leave them in the ground to come up next year,
or am I better off digging them up and then replanting them in the
autumn?

Thanks

Travis 25-03-2005 04:44 PM

steve wrote:
Here in the UK the crocus bulbs I put in the Autumn for the first
time are coming to the end of their flowering.

My question is should I leave them in the ground to come up next
year, or am I better off digging them up and then replanting them
in the autumn?

Thanks

Leave them in the ground.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

woodcocs 25-03-2005 05:01 PM

Thanks - should I cut the tops off or anything?

Richard 25-03-2005 05:40 PM

"woodcocs" wrote in news:1111770119.824567.137120
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks - should I cut the tops off or anything?

As long as the foliage is green it is producing food for next year's bloom.
Leave it until it starts to yellow then (if it isn't hidden by other plants
growth by then) you can trim it down

Frogleg 26-03-2005 04:11 PM

On 25 Mar 2005 07:20:34 -0800, (steve) wrote:

Here in the UK the crocus bulbs I put in the Autumn for the first time
are coming to the end of their flowering.

My question is should I leave them in the ground to come up next year,
or am I better off digging them up and then replanting them in the
autumn?

Leave in ground. If they keep spawning more bulbs/plants, you might
want to dig and divide in a few years.

[email protected] 27-03-2005 12:06 AM

If the tops are still green thay are making food to be stored in the
bulb, do not cut.