Old 25-03-2005, 09:32 PM

Default noise pollution from private planes

I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

It is impossible to work in my garden anymore without going crazy.

Old 25-03-2005, 11:09 PM
paghat

In article . com,
wrote:

I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mower
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

It is impossible to work in my garden anymore without going crazy.

It would be a long hard gruelling commitment, but very likely you have
neighbors who feel exactly the same way, & if you orchestrated a united
front for noise abatement over your neighborhood, in the long run you
would probably win. You must have some kind of neighborhood action group
already, probably attended by a half-dozen dim bulb busybodies who already
need a reason to exist. That could be a starting-point to organize
sensible & workable line of attack of the noise problem which IS also a
health problem (you can find plenty of scientific studies to show the
health impact on yourself -- sufficient danger that it could well turn
into a profitable civil court action, but the first move is to get the
city government active). A combination of the danger of amateur pilots
over your houses & the noise they make should make it a cinch to stop them
from flying overhead -- once the city is forced by orchestrated &
persistant neighborhood complaints to take action.

Also check your noise regulations for your city, & have the whole
neighborhood phone in complaints over each & every big & small infraction.
Keep accurate & specific records of how many hours of each day the noise
is an issue, as this will be invaluable if or when the city drags them
into court in your behalf (which will only happen if you remain a squeeky
wheel.

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Many years ago I moved into a "quiet" neighborhood that had a
twenty-year-old Krishna Temple that woke up the whole neighborhood in the
wee hours of every morning. People had been trying for the whole 20 years
to get rid of them. My first night in my new digs was a rude awakening the
landlord intentionally never mentions to house renters. I went over to the
temple, knocked, asked them if they could stop with the persistant loud
drumming & shouting. They said they'd be quieter, but next night they did
it again, & next night, & next night. Finally they stopped being "polite"
in their lying about quitting & told me point-blank, "We've been keeping
this neighborhood awake for twenty years, & you've only been here for one
week. We'll be here twenty years after you give up & move away."

The gauntlet was down, & I replied, "Give me one year, I'll have you out
of here." He laughed SO hard in my face at what he took to be an impotent
threat.

I organized the neighbors -- some got tired of the fight very soon, but
two other households toughed it out to the end -- those closest & most
abused by these screwy assholes' extreme noisemaking just needed someone
like me who wouldn't cave in to encourage them. We reported them every
night they woke us up, which was almost every night. A minimum of three
simultaneous calls was enough to trigger definitive action. They had their
drums taken away by the police & had to go to court to get their
instruments back -- repeatedly. They had multiple citations to pay off
after noise-measuring equipment set up in my front yard established they
were WAY over the legal night-time decibles.

They also had a habit of "punishing" their own members (especially the
women & children) by locking them in an unlit unheated garage sometimes
for days at a time; I don't know if they were even fed. We'd report these
events too (I even broke open the garage once to let some girl out, but
she cried & said she didn't dare leave the garage until she had
permission, so there was nothing I could do for her). Oh, & I found out
where the head of the temple lived & I'd go knock on his door at, say, two
o'clock in the afternoon, a very reasonable hour, but he'd be sound asleep
after a night of merry noisemaking. I'd very politely ask if he couldn't
keep his followers a little quieter at night -- & he responded by whining
that that I woke him up in the middle of the day. Some of this was fun,
like waking him up on consecutive afternoons to ask him to quieten his
flock & seeing how crabby it made him to be woken up. But mainly this was
hard work, & the only reason I stayed in the neighborhood at all was
because they'd thrown down the gauntlet, & i knew i WOULD get rid of them
before they got rid of me.

They retaliated by breaking the windows of our homes, which of course
caused the cops to interview all of them again. They'd go "silent" for a
couple of weeks while taking care of the court matters that resulted from
their bad behavior & our efforts to stop it. Inevitably they'd be noisy
again, then they'd have all their drums confiscated by the cops again, &
another round of court dates for this pack of bozos. These dumbasses
thought the best thing to do was to behave worse: They marched around the
neighborhood at four in the morning beating their drums & chanting &
waking everyone up, & whoever yelled at them to shut up, they'd
"pleasantly" say "Come join us" & beat their drums louder until the police
came & instead of just taking away their drums, arrested the whole lot.

The temple had never been legal for the housing zone it was in, but the
city hated to get involved with anything that smacked of interferring with
freedom of religion. They'd tiled & altered the whole inside of the place
without permits & without concern for the structure; so we arranged
housing inspections that got them into more legal ho****er.

With so many credible & justified complaints mounting up, the city finally
sided wholeheartedly with the neighborhood & agreed with my point of view
that they should be forced to adhere to every housing & zoning code. All
churches in the city had to meet several criteria this transformed house
didn't come close to meeting. It was almost one year to the day that the
Krishnas told me they'd be there 20 years after I was gone that they moved
out. They sold the temple & moved to a new neigborhood, this time being
careful to select a building which had been built as a church, with a
large noise-barrier of trees between their new digs & their neighbors that
they could have pre-dawn services without waking the whole street. And I
was momentarily a super-hero to my finer neighbors who were thanking me
with extreme gratitude.

So on the one hand for 20 years they terrorized their unhappy neighbors
who felt helpless, who had mistakenly thought they'd done all they could
by calling the cops maybe one time in fifty transgressions. But it took me
one year to get rid of those sick ****s.

The day their old temple was vacated was the same day I gave my landlord
notice I was moving. I'd've moved out sooner except I had to clean up the
neighborhood first.

Some after-effects of a hard-won victory: I became friends with the guy
who told me they'd be there for twenty years after I was gone, & loved him
until the day he died. He stopped being a Krishna dufus & became & rock
'n' roll punker; we hung out a lot. Tom admitted that all during that One
Year War at the Krishna Temple, I was all any of them ever thought about
or talked about, I was bigger than Krishna. Tom had erotic dreams about
hanging upside-down in a tree pelted with onions by leatherdykes (I really
had once chucked some onions at them, & another occasion visited them with
a samurai sword threatening to poke holes in their drums; it is
interesting that they responded to this threat as through it were normal
enough. But mainly strove never to be baited into breaking the law since I
was counting on their disrespect for the law as my best weapon of many).

I went back to that neigbhrood somewhile later out of curiosity & knocked
on the door of what had once been the Krishna temple. The guy who bought &
restored the house said it was the strangest restoration job he'd ever
undertaken, that one room was set up as a torture chamber with cuff-chains
& long nails from the walls & floors so whoever was chained in there
couldn't even sit down or lean against a wall. For as long as a decade
after, whenever I crossed paths with a conga-line of loony chanting
Krishnas, they'd suddenly stop chanting & start whispering to one another
that I was the one who forced them to sell their previous temple & go
elsewhere.

Five years later they saw me at the Seattle Center hanging out, & they
sent their prettiest dykiest member to sit down beside me on the grass, &
act all seductive & try to convince me I should join their cult, claiming
everyone loved me despite a battle that had made me legendary to them. I
just happened to have taken off one of my flip-flops because I'd stepped
on a staple, & there was a long sharp piece of wire sticking out of the
bottom of the shoe. So I shook the flipflop her direction & said, "See
that wire?" "Yes." "Say one more word to me & I'm going to stick it in
your forehead." She hurried back to her group.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 25-03-2005, 11:53 PM
Toni

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Toni
South Florida USA
Zone 10

Old 26-03-2005, 03:12 AM
ant

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Seconded. Noise is a terrible thing, it knows no boundaries, and is
incredibly powerful. Think of it, you'll watch a TV show if the picture is a
bit scrubby, but if the sound is distorted and you can't understand it, you
won't watch.
You can't close the door on sound, it will permeate everything you do.

ant

Old 26-03-2005, 04:38 AM
Travis

ant wrote:
"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Seconded. Noise is a terrible thing, it knows no boundaries, and is
incredibly powerful. Think of it, you'll watch a TV show if the
picture is a bit scrubby, but if the sound is distorted and you
can't understand it, you won't watch.
You can't close the door on sound, it will permeate everything you
do.

ant

We should close all the airports.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 26-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Travis

ant wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
> [...]
ant wrote:
"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Seconded. Noise is a terrible thing, it knows no boundaries, and
is incredibly powerful. Think of it, you'll watch a TV show if the
picture is a bit scrubby, but if the sound is distorted and you
can't understand it, you won't watch.
You can't close the door on sound, it will permeate everything you
do. ant

We should close all the airports.

Why?

ant

So we wouldn't have to listen to all that damn airplane noise.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 26-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Robert Chambers

Perhaps we should all go back to an agrarian society, get rid of all
modes of transport save the horse. Shut off the electricity, close down
the hospitals and break out the leeches.

I'd rather listen to a small plane going over for 45 seconds than listen
to the boom boom boom of hip-hop coming out of a honda civic with a
2foot subwoofer in it.

Travis wrote:

ant wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
> [...]

ant wrote:

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

Old 26-03-2005, 06:55 PM
paghat

In article , Robert
Chambers wrote:

Perhaps we should all go back to an agrarian society, get rid of all
modes of transport save the horse. Shut off the electricity, close down
the hospitals and break out the leeches.

I'd rather listen to a small plane going over for 45 seconds than listen
to the boom boom boom of hip-hop coming out of a honda civic with a
2foot subwoofer in it.

The Office of Noise Abatement & Control which enforced the Noise Control
Act was abolished by Ronald Reagon, & airports have run roughshod & out of
control ever since. According to Noise Pollution Clearinghouse data, only
thirteen states have regional regional noise restrictions for airports, &
most of those have no method of enforcement. This is because of the
political clout of big-business which the airline & airport industries
are. Technology does exist to quieten airplanes, but nothing requires them
to invest in noise abatement. If the government needs to get better at
killing people they can build soundless stealth bombers & muted
helocopters whose fup-fup-fup is barely detectable; but when it comes to
peoples' health, peace, & well-being, no one can be bothered to use such
technology.

The single largest source of harmful noise pollution in the United States
is airports. Noise pollution is regulated for highways, construction,
railroads, & even when & how long you can listen to your stereo, & your
rattling air conditioner could be illegal if your neighbor can hear it.
But airports invest in government clout in order to not invest in noise
abating technology. The investment paid off: NCA regulations specifically
prohibit state restrictions of interstate commerce such as state-to-state
airlines, which is why states have had such a hard time even passing let
alone enforcing noise abatement laws, while the FAA's noise policies are
incompatible with human health. The marginal noise reduction of the newest
airplanes is outpaced by increases in airline traffic, expected to be more
than one-third greater within two years, by 2007.

If you live in an airplane routing pattern they come overhead one after
another day in & day out from early morning to late at night. Increasing
airport traffic needs has caused a relaxation of night-time noise
pollution restrictions -- FedEx for instance sends all its planes out
after midnight & before 5AM -- so in many places there is no time of the
day or night when roaring jets overhead ever stop. The airplane patterns
can extend to ten miles of "stacked" planes so that you'd have to live
fifteen to twenty miles away before the jets were high enough to not be
ROARING overhead so loudly that normal conversations might occur inside
houses. No one living in such an environment even knows what it is like to
listen to a three-minute pop-tune all the way through before an airplane
drowns it out, as the jets follow one after another at 45-second
intervals.

Airplane traffic tends to be routed over poorer neighborhoods because of
the greater political clout of rich people.

Here are some of the health repurcussions:

1) A Cornell University study headed by Gary Evans looked at the effects
on 3rd & 4rth grade students who had grown up up under airplane noises. In
comparison to children not exposed to airplane noise pollution every day,
these children had higher blood pressure, higher amounts of the stress
hormones epinephrine, norepinephrine & cortisol associated with heart
disease, lowered immune-cell counts, & higher cholesterol. The children
also suffered from a greater number of mental health problems compared to
children attending the same school, at the same economic level, but not
under airplane traffic.

2) A 1990 study by the National Institutes of Health established that
residential neighborhoods with airplane traffic have residents with
substantial hearing loss. Industrial workers have better noise level
protections than do neighborhoods near airports.

3) The threshold of pain caused by sound is 120 to 130 decibals. Rock &
roll concerts average 120 decibals. Airplane noise pollution over many
neighborhoods is 130-150 decibles. At two miles from airports, noise
levels are typically around 100 decibals, the equivalent of a locomotive
roaring by the house. There IS an FAA policy that PURPORTS to restrict
airplane noise to an average of 65 decibals, but this is an "average"
which eradicates the need to actually keep the decibals at or below 65,
since the "average" of the noise includes before it is overhead & after it
has passed on. When "averaged" out over an hour, peaks may be 150, but if
lulls between overflights are low, it averages out as "no problem." If the
average WERE ever brought down to the reputed 65 decibals, that would mean
airports could still make the equivalent noise of starting a lawnmower or
running a food blender every two minutes without relent, & would be
sufficient to maintain the majority the negative health impacts.

5) Airplane noise has stopped some species of birds from nesting or to
abandon their nests with young partially raised.

6) People living inside a fifteen mile radius of an airport suffer sleep
deprivation & illnesses associated with sleep deprivation. A typical
international airport will have more than 100 take-offs & landings during
the night, fewer than during the day but enough to guarantee nobody gets a
healthy night's sleep, never experiences sufficient REM sleep, the
inevitable outcome being chronic fatigue, decreased efficiency, anxiety, &
moodiness.

7) People living near airports have a higher incidence of job-related
industrial accidents, gastrointestinal disease, & loss of concentration.

8) Families living under airplane noise have increased incidents of
domestic violence & child abuse & neglect. Aggression levels rise in
people living in airplane corridors, & the impulse to help others in need
lowers. The whole social fabric becomes frayed.

9) Communities in airplane corridors have increased use of sleeping pills
& tranquilizers & abuse of prescription drugs, also:

10) Increased rates of alcoholism & a 100% increase in the rate of
cirrhosis of the liver for people living under airplane noise;

11) Increased rate of admission to psychiatric hospitals.

12) Infants born to mothers living under flight patterns have lower birth
weights, & higher rate of prematurity, & increased rates of spinal bifida
& anencephaly.

13) One study showed a 15% increase of strokes for people living near LA
International Airport compared to people in quiet neighborhoods. Not all
studies show quite that dramatic an increase, but strokes & heart disease,
increased blood pressure, & increased cholesterol, are well proven to be
significantly higher. An Amsterdam study of 6,000 individuals showed that
the very shape of the heart is different for people living with airplane
noise.

14) People living in airplane patterns have increased rates of duodenal &
stomach ulceration & other severe gastrointestinal diseases.

15) A study of 6,000 students in Highline schools found that students
living in areas impacted by SeaTac Airport noise have a higher rate of
learning disabilities. Several schools are in the airplane patterns, &
the Breysse study at the University of Washington establisehd that
academic performance was worse where noise pollution was highest. The most
afflicted Highline School District's math scores remain the third-lowest
in the state.

16) People living in airport patterns have altered speech patterns
probably associated with their sleep deprivation & loss of concentration.

Join the RIGHT TO QUIET SOCIETY:
http://www.quiet.org/

Citizens Against Airport Pollution:
http://www.caap.org/

Adverse health effects of airports:
http://rcaanews.org/health.htm

Old 26-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Travis

Travis wrote:

ant wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
> [...]

ant wrote:

"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Seconded. Noise is a terrible thing, it knows no boundaries, and
is incredibly powerful. Think of it, you'll watch a TV show if
the picture is a bit scrubby, but if the sound is distorted and
you can't understand it, you won't watch.
You can't close the door on sound, it will permeate everything
you do. ant

We should close all the airports.

Why?

ant

So we wouldn't have to listen to all that damn airplane noise.

Ahmen!

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 27-03-2005, 02:20 AM
ant

"Travis" wrote in message
ant wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
> [...]
ant wrote:
"Toni" wrote in message
. ..

"paghat" wrote in message
newsaghatSPAM-ME-NOT-

MY WAR AGAINST THE NOISE:

Thanks for a great story!!

Seconded. Noise is a terrible thing, it knows no boundaries, and
is incredibly powerful. Think of it, you'll watch a TV show if the
picture is a bit scrubby, but if the sound is distorted and you
can't understand it, you won't watch.
You can't close the door on sound, it will permeate everything you
do. ant

We should close all the airports.

Why?

So we wouldn't have to listen to all that damn airplane noise.

So don't buy a house near an airport. OTOH, if an airport tries to start up
near where you already live, I assume you'd do something?

ant

Old 27-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Toni

"ant" wrote in message

So don't buy a house near an airport. OTOH, if an airport tries to start

up
near where you already live, I assume you'd do something?

It is not only homes near airports that are affected.

The airplane noise has increased substantially over my neighborhood in the
past year, and I am at least 15 miles from Fort Lauderdale International
Airport. In the winter months (when doors and windows are open) you can't
watch a movie without having to pause several times while a plane roars
overhead.

Between that and the goldarned ice cream man I could scream.

Toni
South Florida USA
Zone 10