GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Replanting Geraniums??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/91612-replanting-geraniums.html)

[email protected] 29-03-2005 03:47 PM

Replanting Geraniums???

Hiya...I have a question about replanting geranium's. I had someone mow
my back yard & in his questionable enthusiasm, he pulled out all of my
geranium's. My wife & I replanted about 5 of them, but I found quite a
few more with root's and I am wondering about the correct procedure for
this. Should I cut back the stalk's & leaves?...they're at the original
height of about 3 feet. Is there anything I should add to the soil?
Thank's in advance. - John

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 30-03-2005 05:56 AM

i assume you refer to "common geraniums" (shrubs, pelargonium)

don't overwater your rooted pieces if you've got heavy soil.

if you jam the unrooted cuttings into loose soil on the north side of a tree (or under shade
of a large shrub) many will root during teh wamr weather.

[email protected] 30-03-2005 04:02 PM

Thanks! Yesterday I cut the stalks down to about 12", and replanted
them where they originally were...west side of garage, strong afternoon
sun. I'm in Southern Calif. and the ground (clay soil) is still very
wet from all the recent rain,,,so I'm hoping for the best. Thanks
again! - John