Old 29-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Cuttings Question/Pineapplee Sage

I like Pineapple Sage because it grows to become a big bush by the end of
summer and makes for great foliage. Last year I took a bunch of cuttings
and over wintered them inside under lights and although they got leggy,
they did very well last summer in my garden and the gardens of those
plants I gave away.

This year however, my pineapple sage cuttings has been in bloom for the
last month under the lights. I think this happened because the plants I
made cuttings from were close to blooming and I read that when you make
cuttings the plants have memories of what stage of life they're in.

I'm worried about using these plants this year if they think that now
they've bloomed they're life mission is over and they won't grow when
repotted outside. Does anyone think this will be a problem? If I just
deadhead the flower and repot should these plants grow as large as last
year? I'm thinking I might have to buy new pineapple sage seedlings from
the plant store this spring.

Old 30-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Sterling

I like this plant - and it is very easy to root. When I cut back a plant
to make it bushier, I take the cuttings and stick them in the ground or
in an extra pot. I do this in the early summer and by fall I have
another pineapple sage just growing wonderfully. Love the fragrance!

I'd say that considering how robust these plants are, you should just
trim them back and plant them in the ground outside or in pots. Should
do just fine.

Old 30-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Sterling in :

I'm worried about using these plants this year if they think that now
they've bloomed they're life mission is over and they won't grow when
repotted outside. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

it's a weakly woody shrub. it flowers every winter on new growth.
Old 30-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
I'm worried about using these plants this year if they think that now
they've bloomed they're life mission is over and they won't grow when
repotted outside. Does anyone think this will be a problem?

it's a weakly woody shrub. it flowers every winter on new growth.

Not here in Zone 5. If left outside it dies and never comes back. What
zone does it become a shrub? If it's a shrub then perhaps, instead of
taking cuttings, this winter (it just turned Spring and I'm already
planning for winter :-) I'll bring the entire plant inside and place it
under lights.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:56 AM
Sterling

Well, I'm in Atlanta and it dies back to the ground when it freezes.
Mine are just now showing new green shoots coming up.