Old 30-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Toni

Default Moving moss

"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

Lots of folks advise moss + milk in a blender, then spraying it wherever you
want the moss to grow. The milk serves as nutrient for the moss bits- as
long as the conditions are right it will "take" amazingly well.

--
Toni
South Florida USA

Old 30-03-2005, 02:00 AM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Toni" wrote:

"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

Lots of folks advise moss + milk in a blender, then spraying it wherever you
want the moss to grow. The milk serves as nutrient for the moss bits- as
long as the conditions are right it will "take" amazingly well.

Milk is very acid BTW. Moss likes it so keep lime away unless you want
moss which has itıs own charm. No mowing either))

Powered milk as a fertilizer has to be right up there with dried blood.
Pricey.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/

Old 30-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Travis

Gwen Morse wrote:
I have some largish patches of moss in my front yard. I don't
particularly want them where they are, although I don't feel any
need to try to kill them, either.

I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to
be? I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and
layer them between the pavers.

I have no idea what sort of moss it is, it's not cultivated. It just
grows naturally in the few boggy spots in my yard.

Gwen

Moss likes it wet and shady. If the walkway to your mailbox has the
right conditions the moss would already be there. It won't hurt to try
to transplant some.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 30-03-2005, 05:57 AM
John Thomas

Toni wrote:
"Gwen Morse" wrote in message

I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

Lots of folks advise moss + milk in a blender, then spraying it wherever you
want the moss to grow. The milk serves as nutrient for the moss bits- as
long as the conditions are right it will "take" amazingly well.

FWIW, buttermilk works even better, especially if you're trying to paste
moss onto rocks.
Old 31-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Gwen Morse wrote:
I have some largish patches of moss in my front yard. I don't
particularly want them where they are, although I don't feel any need
to try to kill them, either.

I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

May or may not work, depending on the species of moss you're sowing -- they're
just as picky (or maybe more so!) than seed plants. If your front
yard is nice and shady and moist, chances are that particular
species isn't going to make it in a dry, sunny area. But give it a try...
you really don't have much to lose in the experiment!

Keep an eye out for mosses growing in areas similar to your
front walkway. Ask if you can collect some and try to transplant.
You'll probably have more luck than trying just J. Random Moss From
Elsewhere.

Kay

Old 31-03-2005, 02:32 AM
paghat

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:39:02 -0500, Gwen Morse wrote:
I have some largish patches of moss in my front yard. I don't
particularly want them where they are, although I don't feel any need
to try to kill them, either.

I also have a small walkway to my mailbox made up of slate paving
stones. I'd really like the moss to grow between the stones. Is it
possible to move the moss from where it is, to where I want it to be?
I was thinking maybe I could take "slices" of mossy soil and layer
them between the pavers.

Results vary when attempting to move mats of moss from one place to
another. More often than not it fails or results in an uneven patchy mess
of half-dead moss, if you expected a pealed up mat of moss to re-"root"
itself in a new location into a new medium. Moss does not actually have
roots & doesn't like this kind if disruption. However, there's an easy &
reliable method of getting moss to grow where you want it:

1) Select a moss with the appearance you're after, that is growing in a
location with moisture & sun/shade conditions & medium preferances similar
to the conditions where you want to have moss.

2) Chop the moss into itty bitty teensy weensy bits.

3) Mix the moss with water-diluted buttermilk.

4) Whiz this misture in a blender to the consistency of paint. (You can
get a cheap blender from a thriftstore if you don't want to crud up your
good one.)

5) With a paintbrush, paint this concoction of moss, water, & buttermilk
onto stone surfaces or tree trunks, or dribble it onto soil between
flagstones or wherever you want it to grow. For very large areas dilute
the concoction a great deal & after having blended it to a much finer
consistency, so that it can be sprayed from a pump-sprayer.

6) Use a mister rather than a hose to keep the area moist without washing
away the moss-concoction before the rhizomes take hold & it begins to
grow.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

[IMG] code is On

LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 11:48 PM
[IBC] Moss dressing pots was : culitvating moss on a large scale Kev Bailey Bonsai 2 20-07-2005 04:59 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 04:02 AM
Moving to PNW...how to move plants? Wendy B G Gardening 2 24-03-2003 08:44 PM
Moving.... Tracey Gardening 11 02-03-2003 09:51 PM