Old 30-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Jim Johnston

Default Move Established Asparagus Bed?

Happy Spring, all -

Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new location and
been successful in that venture? If so, do you have any tips & tricks to
share?

We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed with and
re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of about 100 crowns
ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!

Jim

Old 30-03-2005, 07:51 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Jim Johnston" wrote:

Happy Spring, all -

Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new location and
been successful in that venture? If so, do you have any tips & tricks to
share?

We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed with and
re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of about 100 crowns
ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!

Jim

Oh Jim. Perhaps just cut your lose and run with new crowns, New beds
are enough work and digging up the old would seem tedious unless your
variety warrants it. We have Martha Washington in my dadıs garden.
Canıt think of a way out of this. Asparagus is a demanding vegetable
but eating them raw as they show is pure pleasure.

Our bed was double dug and provided with excess nutrients.

You would have to be a tad crazy to transplant.....get help ) to do it!

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/

Old 30-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Travis

Jim Johnston wrote:
Happy Spring, all -

Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new
location and been successful in that venture? If so, do you have
any tips & tricks to share?

We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed
with and re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of
about 100 crowns ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!

Jim

I would think it's not a problem as long as they are still dormant.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 30-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Warren

Jim Johnston wrote:
Has anyone tried to move an existing asparagus bed to a new location and
been successful in that venture? If so, do you have any tips & tricks to
share?

We're moving to a new home and I'd love to take my aspargus bed with and
re-establish it in the new location. The bed consists of about 100 crowns
ranging from 3-6 years' maturity.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you might offer!

If you've already sold your old home, the asparagus bed belongs to the
buyers unless it was specifically excluded in the sales agreement. If that's
the case, and the new owners don't want to give you their new asparagus bed,
it doesn't matter how practical or impractical the transplanting would be.
Depending on whether you take the asparagus before or after closing, you may
find yourself guilty of theft and/or not meeting your contractual terms --
especially if the new owners were looking forward to their new asparagus!

When gardeners move, it can sometimes be heartbreaking to have to leave
things behind. When something is planted in the ground, it becomes part of
the real property. It's no longer is personal property. You need to think
ahead, and put it in the listing that x, y and z will not be included in the
sale, and then you have to also make sure that the offer from potential
buyers includes that exclusion as well.

The new owners may not care. They may not even notice. But if they notice
and care...

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 31-03-2005, 03:34 AM
Chuckie

Asparagus does not take very long to grow. So if you can't take your
bed with you plant some seeds and you will have asparagus plants if not
late this summer next spring
Chuckie