Old 31-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Mike Sendrove

Default Euphorbia trigona question

Hi all - I have some questions about a Euphorbia trigona that I have
recently repotted.
Firstly - I understand that the E.T is not a cactus, and so should be
watered fairly regularly? How regularly? Should the soil be moist to
touch?
Also, what about the soil - I've repotted it into standard potting
compost. It doesn't seem to have grown at all, whilst the E.T next to
it, still in it's original pot, seems to have gone nuts recently. For
the record, both of these plants are on a windowsill. I'm not sure
which way it's facing, but one's looking well and the other next to it
(the one I repotted) isn't doing *anything*
Should I have repotted the E.T into some sort of well draining mix,
like I would put a cactus into? Why might the E.T not be doing
anything at all?
Thanks for any advice,
Mike.
Old 31-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Even though Euphorbia trigona is not a member of the Cactus family
(Cactaceae) itself, it obviously is a stem succulent and requires the same
treatment as one would a succulent "cactus".

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs/faq.html

Please note that not all members of the family Cactaceae are succulent. The
genus Pereskia are leafy shrubs and should be grown as such.

om...

Old 31-03-2005, 10:07 PM
John Thomas

Mike Sendrove wrote:
Hi all - I have some questions about a Euphorbia trigona that I have
recently repotted.
Firstly - I understand that the E.T is not a cactus, and so should be
watered fairly regularly? How regularly? Should the soil be moist to
touch?

Treat it like a cactus that doesn't mind water, but HATES having wet
feet. Being completely dried out won't hurt it, either.

Also, what about the soil - I've repotted it into standard potting
compost. It doesn't seem to have grown at all, whilst the E.T next to
it, still in it's original pot, seems to have gone nuts recently. For
the record, both of these plants are on a windowsill. I'm not sure
which way it's facing, but one's looking well and the other next to it
(the one I repotted) isn't doing *anything*

Regular potting soil may not drain quickly enough. Try amending it with
washed sand. I've read where they also like a little more lime (higher
soil pH) than you'll get with the usual potting soil.

Should I have repotted the E.T into some sort of well draining mix,
like I would put a cactus into? Why might the E.T not be doing
anything at all?

It could also just be transplant shock or a container design that
doesn't allow for quick drainage. I bought mine on the $1 shelf at the
garden shop (sickly) and it took a full season to bloom... And it's gone
ape this spring. (Wild bees love it.) Going to be even better this
summer from the looks of it. In addition to the lime and sand, I put the
plant in a tall terra cotta pot, (lined with weed fabric and pumice on
the bottom) on top of feet (for drainage) on a southward facing balcony.

Since I've made so many changes to the original set of conditions, I
can't say what exactly has worked, but for the most part I have a very
happy Euphorbia. (Went from mottled yellow leaves at 4 inches tall to
blue-green leaves at 4 feet)

Thanks for any advice,
Mike.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Mike Sendrove

Mike Sendrove wrote:
[...]

Thanks both for your advice - I'll leave it for some time to dry out,
and see how it does this season. I beleive that drainage could be
better, sounds like maybe it could do with some sand adding to the
mix, but since it's just been replanted, I'm not gonna mess with it so
soon.
Thanks again,
Mike