Old 31-03-2005, 04:58 PM
pixi

Default kill file

Someone got angry the other day on a different newsgroup and asked me if I
knew what a killfile was. Could that person have activated a kill file on
my computer somehow?

my computer is once more
doing the same thing and I cannot reset it this time. I know nothing about
kill files and neither does my server support group.

Old 31-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Cereus-validus.....

No Sweetpea, it doesn't work that way.

You're just being paranoid over a stupid ****wit.

http://www.dickalba.demon.co.uk/usen.../faq_kill.html

Old 31-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Leon Trollski

"pixi" wrote in message
Someone got angry the other day on a different newsgroup and asked me if I
knew what a killfile was. Could that person have activated a kill file on
my computer somehow?

my computer is once more
doing the same thing and I cannot reset it this time. I know nothing

about
kill files and neither does my server support group.

You must have really made someone angry.

A killfile is a special type of trojan or backdoor that, as you suspect, has
been planted on your computer by an irate and informed usenet person.

ISP's allow them if you have violated their internet protocol, such as
spamming or abusive language.

I don't know what you can do after the fact, other than apologize to whoever
it was, and ask for their help.

Let us know how things work out.

Old 31-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Dennis Edward

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message

You must have really made someone angry.

A killfile is a special type of trojan or backdoor that, as you suspect,
has
been planted on your computer by an irate and informed usenet person.

ISP's allow them if you have violated their internet protocol, such as
spamming or abusive language.

I don't know what you can do after the fact, other than apologize to
whoever
it was, and ask for their help.

Let us know how things work out.

Oh good grief NO! There's nothing on your PC. The killfile is on the angry
person's pc. (Let's call him 'Bob'). If you get Bob mad enough, he will add
your usenet name to his killfile so that his newsreader will not show any
messages posted by you. You become a ghost to Bob, but everyone else can
still see you. Most people use killfiles only reluctantly, when someone is
being a constant butthead, but there are some who will threaten to killfile
you at the drop of a hat. IMO, those people are welcome to do so, and you
should return the favour.

Old 31-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Endangered Bucket Farmer

In article 216f3$424c1dee$3f5c95f8$26538@API-
DIGITAL.COM, says...
Someone got angry the other day on a different newsgroup and asked me if I
knew what a killfile was. Could that person have activated a kill file on
my computer somehow?

my computer is once more
doing the same thing and I cannot reset it this time. I know nothing about
kill files and neither does my server support group.

A "kill file" is a filter. It is usually a function of
the software that you use for email or newsgroups.

If you put someone in your killfile, then their emails
or newsgroup posts will be automatically deleted from
your computer, so that you don't have to see them.

I suspect that that person's point was, "If you don't
like what someone says, killfile them." Meaning, set
your newsreader to filter out that person's posts.
This can avoid lots of avoidance and time-wasting.

Unfortunately, some folks have bully/control fantasies,
and try to deal with online disagreements with, "You
dared to disagree with me, so I will bully you until
you stop posting here! Everyone hates you! Nyah,
nyah! So shaddup and go awaaayyyy!" Often the ones
doing this have been caught lying, or shooting off
their mouths in an ignorant/arrogant manner, and are
afraid of anyone who understands the topic-of-
conversation better than the bully.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 31-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Tex John

"paghat" wrote

despite that these trojans have nothing to do with
killfiles & everything to do with the computer-illerate naively opening
unknown e-mail attachments.

-paghat the ratgirl

Or reading newsgroups like this one without protection!

Too funny, only time I've laughed all day!

Old 31-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Leon Trollski

"pixi" wrote in message
Someone got angry the other day on a different newsgroup and asked me if I
knew what a killfile was. Could that person have activated a kill file on
my computer somehow?

my computer is once more
doing the same thing and I cannot reset it this time. I know nothing

about
kill files and neither does my server support group.

In fact, the reason this is called a "kill file" is because some varieties
are engineered to make your pc deliver a high voltage shock on command.
Several people have died when thus targeted-you may need disconnect and
trash your pc to be on the safe side.

Old 31-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Ann

"Leon Trollski" expounded:

In fact, the reason this is called a "kill file" is because some varieties
are engineered to make your pc deliver a high voltage shock on command.
Several people have died when thus targeted-you may need disconnect and
trash your pc to be on the safe side.

You are having entirely too much fun......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 01-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Leon Trollski

"Ann" wrote in message
"Leon Trollski" expounded:

In fact, the reason this is called a "kill file" is because some

varieties
are engineered to make your pc deliver a high voltage shock on command.
Several people have died when thus targeted-you may need disconnect and
trash your pc to be on the safe side.

You are having entirely too much fun......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Ahem. Of course, Pixi may be pulling a fast one on me, in which case I am
the victim.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Alway wear a rubber when reading anything on this goofy newsgroup.

"Tex John" wrote in message

"paghat" wrote

despite that these trojans have nothing to do with
killfiles & everything to do with the computer-illerate naively opening
unknown e-mail attachments.

-paghat the ratgirl

Or reading newsgroups like this one without protection!

Too funny, only time I've laughed all day!

[IMG] code is On

Ooops! Sorry for that large file - File 1 of 1 - _REL6106ppEmail.jpg (1/1) Imageman[_2_] Garden Photos 0 04-07-2007 03:45 AM
Kill file again pixi Ponds 4 31-03-2005 11:07 PM
Kill File??? pixi Ponds 1 31-03-2005 06:11 PM
This bunch is the kill file champions of USENET Roy Ponds 0 10-01-2005 12:07 AM
My Kill File Runneth Over Dunter Powries Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-02-2004 05:25 PM