Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Dave Gower

Default transplanting sedums

After years of looking for groundcover plants that work here in my dry,
sunny, sandy Eastern Ontario landscape, I finally discovered sedums last
year. Wonderful! So great that this year I am going to do some serious
transplanting of cuttings from my original bed to landscape around a rock
garden which I had built just before freezeup last fall.

At the moment of course the sedums are just newly emerged from the snow and
still dormant, although very healthy looking, with quite a bit of last
fall's colour. So my question is, do I need to wait until they get new
growth, or can I go ahead and transplant cuttings as soon as I get the soil
prepared to receive them?

Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
madgardener

sedums are forgiving. If your ground is workable, transplant them. I have
Frosty Morn, a small start of Purple Emperor, Matrona, Green Lights,
Raspberry, all sorts of varieties as well as Blue Spruce, Kamchatecum (sp?)
sempervivums (hens and chicks) in 28 varieties, Oreostachys, the list is
endless! I'll hunt around for a source, as sedums don't mind cold as long
as it's fast draining and sunny (some Oreostachys love shady)
madgardener

Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Exactly to which "Sedums" is it you allude?

Its a very big genus and many of the plants grown as such are no longer in
that genus.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Cereus-validus.....

That's Orostachys, oh mad one.

They ain't "cookies.

The deciduous "Sedums" are now Hylotelephium.

Sedum spurium is now Phedimus.

Sedum kamtschaticum and its kin are now Aizopsis.

The "blue spruce" types are now Petrosedum.

Sempervivum are not Sedum.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Dave Gower

"madgardener" wrote in message
sedums are forgiving. If your ground is workable, transplant them. I have
Frosty Morn, a small start of Purple Emperor, Matrona, Green Lights,
Raspberry, all sorts of varieties as well as Blue Spruce, Kamchatecum
(sp?)
sempervivums (hens and chicks) in 28 varieties, Oreostachys, the list is
endless!

Thanks, MG. I have no idea what varieties I have (I simply picked the ones I
liked at a local garden centre last summer) but it sounds like I have lots
of freedom. I think I can take it for granted that anything sold at an
Ontario garden centre is going to be cold-tolerant :)

Right now we have heavy very cold rain (almost snow) but maybe tomorrow I
can get back at it. Cheers.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 AM
madgardener

thanks for setting me straight, Cereus-validus
maddie
om...

"Dave Gower" wrote in message
After years of looking for groundcover plants that work here in my dry,
sunny, sandy Eastern Ontario landscape, I finally discovered sedums

last
year. Wonderful! So great that this year I am going to do some serious
transplanting of cuttings from my original bed to landscape around a

rock
garden which I had built just before freezeup last fall.

At the moment of course the sedums are just newly emerged from the snow

and
still dormant, although very healthy looking, with quite a bit of last
fall's colour. So my question is, do I need to wait until they get new
growth, or can I go ahead and transplant cuttings as soon as I get the

soil
prepared to receive them?

[IMG] code is On

What are your experiences with Sedums and Butterflies? [email protected] United Kingdom 8 29-03-2007 12:38 PM
propagating sedums over winter Dave Gower Gardening 5 14-11-2004 02:25 PM
Sedums Scott North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Transplanting Pride of India Maryanne Gardening 0 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Transplanting Roses TCrevison Roses 1 02-02-2003 05:59 AM