Old 01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
JackRabbit

Default After lawn aeration...

now what ?? I have all these dirt plugs all over the lawn.
Thank you.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Travis

JackRabbit wrote:
now what ?? I have all these dirt plugs all over the lawn.
Thank you.

They are fine just where they are.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
JackRabbit

My question should have been more specific. Should I top dress the lawn
with anything, or break up the plugs, etc

Not sure if this is important, but i aerated because I have awful drainage.
New house with a typical builders lot.

thanks again.
"Travis" wrote in message
newsbi3e.2898$pU5.661@trnddc06...

Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Warren

JackRabbit wrote:
My question should have been more specific. Should I top dress the lawn
with anything, or break up the plugs, etc

Not sure if this is important, but i aerated because I have awful
drainage.
New house with a typical builders lot.

You don't *have to* do anything. Fall is the best time to do most of the
work, but if what you've got is in really crappy shape, and you don't mind
extra work that wouldn't have as much payback as in the fall, there are lots
of things that you could do. Top-dressing with some compost, and
over-seeding, for example.

You could rake-up the plugs, but there's no advantage to doing it unless it
bothers you that it looks like there's dog crap all over your yard. Soon
enough, the plugs will break down all by themselves. And if the top couple
of inches was the only halfway decent soil you had to begin with, why get
rid of the plugs of it?

In most climates, you get the most bang for your buck for the work you do on
you lawn in the window between the summer heat and the fall rains. So if you
have other things that need attention now -- amending planting beds, for
example -- you may want to put your energy into that, and plan for a busy
fall.

And if the neighbors say anything about all the plugs laying there, just
tell them your dog got into the pantry, and found two 40-lb bags of dog food
before you were able to stop him from eating. (You won't have to worry about
them walking on your lawn after that!)

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html

Old 01-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Leon Trollski

"Warren" wrote in message

You don't *have to* do anything. Fall is the best time to do most of the
work, but if what you've got is in really crappy shape, and you don't mind
extra work that wouldn't have as much payback as in the fall, there are

lots
of things that you could do. Top-dressing with some compost, and
over-seeding, for example.

He's *right* you **Don't** have to ¢¢¢do¢¢¢ anything you $$$$don't$$$$ want
to.

In fact, Buddhist reductionism suggests you £££give£££ up on the silly
symbols. That is, ??? unless ??? it really turns your crank.

More at 11.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Travis

JackRabbit wrote:
My question should have been more specific. Should I top dress the
lawn with anything, or break up the plugs, etc

Not sure if this is important, but i aerated because I have awful
drainage. New house with a typical builders lot.

Sand. It will fill the holes and promote drainage

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

thanks again.
JackRabbit wrote:
now what ?? I have all these dirt plugs all over the lawn.
Thank you.

They are fine just where they are.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Mantis mini cultivator - clay soil/lawn aeration Jay Hendry United Kingdom 0 18-09-2005 01:17 PM
Overseeding after aeration in New Brunswick Canada The Primate Lawns 2 26-07-2005 04:24 AM
Lawn aeration and sprinkler system ted Gardening 5 03-05-2004 07:02 AM
lawn aeration Celeste Evans Texas 1 30-01-2004 02:26 PM
Lawn Aeration, how many passes ? Ray Lawns 2 26-06-2003 06:56 PM