Old 01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
jetgraphics

Default Edible Seasonal Passive Sunshade

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:58 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Consider Malabar Spinach an annual. Grapes may be of interest also.
Mix in moon flowers and other flowering vines for interest...NOT Edible.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/

Old 02-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Troy Lubbers

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Consider Malabar Spinach an annual. Grapes may be of interest also.
Mix in moon flowers and other flowering vines for interest...NOT Edible.

Bill

Kudzu is edible, vining, grows fast and I believe it does VERY well in
Zone 7.

April Fools.
But seriously I'm sure you know better than to plant Kudzu.

In addition to the above, Not quite edible, perhaps useful if you brew
your own beer though, is hops. You could train some indeterminate
tomatos, some pole beans, maybe a small melon or summer squash??
Lots of plants that are edible have a vining habit.

Troy
Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Katra

In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

Grapevines? :-)
The only problem with those is that they lose their leaves in the winter.

You could also try Passiflora edulis or Passiflora incarnata.
Those both produce edible fruits, and they tend to be evergreen.

My Passiflora cerulea stayed green all winter thru 4 or 5 good freezes.
I want to find some of the other two species and get them planted here
as well.

Plastic lattice as a trellis looks nice and is more durable than wood
lattice. It's more expensive but lasts forever, and it comes in colors!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Old 02-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Troy Lubbers

Katra wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

From an energy conservation standpoint, losing the leaves in the fall
is a good thing. In the hot sunny weather the foliage shades the house.
In the cool winter weather with the foliage gone the sun warms the
building.

Troy

Old 02-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Katra

In article t,
Troy Lubbers wrote:

Katra wrote:
In article ,
jetgraphics wrote:

[...]

From an energy conservation standpoint, losing the leaves in the fall
is a good thing. In the hot sunny weather the foliage shades the house.
In the cool winter weather with the foliage gone the sun warms the
building.

Troy

I actually did think about that... :-)

It's just that I find my naked grapevines in the winter to be none too
attractive. lol I know my neighbor chopped out all of the ones that
had spread to the trees in his yard. I don't think he would have done
that if he knew that they were going to leaf out again. He probably
thought that they were dead. I'm letting them go up into the trees on
this side of the fence!

Besides, the blooms on passion vines are just gorgeous!!!

Here was my very first one ever that bloomed this year. I planted the
vine in a 5 gallon pot next to my greenhouse late last summer:

http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslin...ionFlower2.jpg

Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
William Wagner

In article t,
Troy Lubbers wrote:

In addition to the above, Not quite edible, perhaps useful if you brew
your own beer though, is hops. You could train some indeterminate
tomatos, some pole beans, maybe a small melon or summer squash??
Lots of plants that are edible have a vining habit.

Troy

Hops is difficult to get rid of in a short period of time. Creeps
about in a manner similar to poison ivy. Runners..Cucumbers can be
trained to vine too.

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/
Tell folks where to get your files FREE at http://www.DropLoad.com
"oeuf tôt pique " Lover

Old 02-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Terry Collins

jetgraphics wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

No idea where Zone 7 is.
Have you tried the "choko"
Old 02-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Lou

"jetgraphics" wrote in message
I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an

edible
sunshade, please post it.

You said you'd be interested in criticisms as well as suggestions. I've
tried planting a couple of viny things near the house will less than ideal
results, though neither was edible.

One was ivy. The stuff crawls everywhere, and the day I found it growing
_into_ the den on the ground floor was the day I decided to get rid of it.
It managed to get a tendril into the house where the frame meets the
foundation. The other was a fast growing vine that put out masses of small
white flowers, don't remember the name. Pretty, but it managed to work it's
way up the house behind the siding and into the cellar both by the same way
the ivy got into the house and by growing through the space where the cellar
windows met the window frames.

My Dad planted wisteria so that it would climb up the pillars supporting the
little roof over the front door. He had the same sort of problem - the
plant is invasive and persistent, it doesn't stay just on the outside of the
house, it'll worm it's way through any little crack or gap.

You apparently want something pretty hefty if you want to shade the roof as
well as the sides of the house, and I'd guess you don't want to start fresh
every year so you'd also want it to be perennial.. I can see it prying off
the siding. If you have a brick or stone house, it'll try to creep in the
windows. If it makes it to the roof, it'll pry the shingles off. You want
shade, plant some trees. Make sure they're not too close to the house.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:39 AM
DrLith

"jetgraphics" wrote in message
I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an

edible
sunshade, please post it.

Kiwis would be a good choice (if you're willing to consider perennials).
There are hardy varieties than can be grown to zone 4, or the more familiar
fuzzy varieties, which are hardy to zone 8 and might be ok in zone 7 if you
got lucky. They're fairly attractive and grow quickly, but take a while
before they'll start giving fruit. But would be lower maintenance than
annual vines, and you'll eventually get a lot more height out of them.

The problem you will run into with most typical climbing vegetables is that
they don't grow *that* tall. You might be able to get about 8 ft out of pole
beans, and 10-15 ft out of some types of runner beans, but that'll be about
it. Curcubits (squash, cukes, pumpkins, etc.) will probably top out at
around 6-8 ft. They (both beans and curcubits) also are fairly prone to a
variety of pests: leaf-eating insects, soil dwelling insects, and various
mildews and so on. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try them; just means they're
one of those plants that can be hit-or-miss, even for experienced gardeners.

If I were you, I'd experiment with the edible shade concept for now, but
also plant a proper row of quick-maturing shade trees. By the time the trees
get taller than the crop plants, you'll probably be sick of trying to grow
dinner on the side of your house and be ready to move your efforts to a
proper garden space.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:49 AM
Maren Purves

DrLith wrote:
[...]

don't know about that, but I'm in zone 11, and kabocha and chayote grow
much much longer than that here. I have kabocha vines that are more
than 50 feet from where I planted them (but they are on the ground).

They (both beans and curcubits) also are fairly prone to a
variety of pests: leaf-eating insects, soil dwelling insects, and various
mildews and so on. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try them; just means they're
one of those plants that can be hit-or-miss, even for experienced gardeners.

add slugs and fruit flies, at least here.

If I were you, I'd experiment with the edible shade concept for now, but
also plant a proper row of quick-maturing shade trees.

what isn't clear to me in the question asked is whether this was only
for verticals (walls) or also for horizontals ('celing') in which case
cucurbites may be somewhat counterproductive as they may fall on your
head (so will of course passion fruit) eventually, and they can get
heavy.

Maren, in Hilo, HI (I don't think kiwis grow here, otherwise I'd love
to have some of those too)
Old 02-04-2005, 04:41 AM
Gunner

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:38:52 -0500, jetgraphics
wrote:

I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, or criticisms of the idea of
using a trellis & wire system to support vines (climbing or drooping) to
shade a rooftop and house side walls in Zone 7 (hot & humid).

Would suspended planters for droopers also work?

Furthermore, if anyone has information on suitable candidates for an edible
sunshade, please post it.

Thank you.

I use Thompson Seedless grapes on trellises. Plenty bushy, plenty
shady, need little to no water, makes wine, grapes, raisins.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
Old 02-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Gunner

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 20:51:01 -0500, "Lou"
wrote:

[...]

Honeysuckle is sorta nice and moderatly easy to maintain where you
want it. But its not edible. Smells really nice though.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 AM
JonquilJan

Check with your county agricultural extension office. It may be listed
under the state college (in New York, it is Cornell Extension office).
Their information and publications are mostly free and will be geared to
your exact location. They also usually are the base for 4-H groups and you
could get information through them.

In China, they grow grape vines that shade pig runs. The floor of the runs
(cement) is slightly sloped so that when hosed down, the water and manure
flow to water and fertilize the vines. Multiple use.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
jetgraphics

Katra wrote:

Grapevines? :-)
The only problem with those is that they lose their leaves in the winter.

Losing leaves is a good thing. Lets in winter sunshine. The subject did
specify "seasonal passive sunshade".