Old 07-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Snooze

wrote in message
In rec.gardens d wrote:
Sure it does... Buy a rake

You must have missed the word "power" in the subjectline...

Typical of asking for product advice on usenet. You'll get a few dozen
like answering, or you'll get people who tell you "don't do it this way".
Like you, I've never seen anything like that, look at Black & Decker's
website directly, doesn't seem like as useful of a machine as you think.

http://xrl.us/fox7

http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/prod...&mktid=2&lid=1

For my needs, I purchased a shove sized lawn coring/detacher from home
depot, it takes me about an hour or two to core the lawn, and gives me a bit
of exercise in the process.

Good luck
-S

Old 07-04-2005, 02:24 PM
William Brown

You should take a look at the power requirements for this tool. If it
is made for European use, it is likely to require 230/50 power, so you
would need a power converter also.

I doubt they build them for the US market. European, particularly
English, lawns are often only slightly larger than a decent dining room
table, so they provide tools for that small environment; rarely do you
see an American lawn that small.

wrote:
In rec.gardens d wrote:

Sure it does... Buy a rake

You must have missed the word "power" in the subjectline...

there.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM

Didn't miss it. You said inexpensive and low-end. Can't get much
lower than a rake that you power yourself. Plus you didn't specify how
big a lawn we were talking about. For a small lawn like most of the
new homes I see, this would be a one-hour job.

That said, somebody used to sell a thatch rake that was built like a
reel mower. Not powered, but still an improvement over a rake. I
thought it was Lee Valley, but I can't find it on their site.

Honda's mini-tiller also has an attachment for de-thatching, but your
getting back into the 400 range.

Since this is a tool you generally don't use more than once a year,
most companies don't seem interested in building anything other than a
commercial grade tool. It's also tough to recommend buying something
for once a year use (although find a good deal on one and I'd consider
it).

Old 11-04-2005, 07:39 PM

In rec.gardens William Brown wrote:
You should take a look at the power requirements for this tool. If it
is made for European use, it is likely to require 230/50 power, so you
would need a power converter also.

Again, I'm looking for something *like* it, not necessarily this model
per se. A US-version of this would be good. Other brands/types would be
OK too.

I doubt they build them for the US market. European, particularly
English, lawns are often only slightly larger than a decent dining room
table, so they provide tools for that small environment; rarely do you
see an American lawn that small.

While I pointed to a British website in my original posting, this model
is sold throughout Europe. My parent's lawn (they live in the Netherlands)
isn't much smaller than mine (SF bay area), and they swear by it.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Travis

I'm looking for something like this:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=665 but it looks like the
only thing that comes close that is available in the
US is a $1000+ machine made by Husqvarna. Is this some vast
conspiracy by
the rental industry, or am I simply not looking in the right places?

There is no reason to de-thatch your lawn every year. You can remove
leaves in fall by mulching or bagging.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5