Old 02-04-2005, 01:35 PM
timorous barghest

Default transplanting a yaupon holly

I have a weeping yaupon holly next to my entryway - it is too close to
the house and either will have to be frequently pruned, ruining the
shape of it, or transplanted. Frankly, I am afraid it is too big for
me to transplant without killing it. The base of the trunk is probably
2.5 inches across and it is about fourteen feet tall. But it hasn't
spread out too much yet and if needed it could be pruned some. Are
these fairly easy to transplant or not?

--

pull the weeds to email me:
Old 06-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorous barghest
I have a weeping yaupon holly next to my entryway - it is too close to
the house and either will have to be frequently pruned, ruining the shape of it, or transplanted. Frankly, I am afraid it is too big for me to transplant without killing it. The base of the trunk is probably 2.5 inches across and it is about fourteen feet tall. But it hasn't spread out too much yet and if needed it could be pruned some. Are
these fairly easy to transplant or not?

--

pull the weeds to email me:
You might consider pricing what it would cost to replace it at the size it is now as opposed to hiring a pro to move it. I would think that the two greatest considerations would be the weight of the rootball once dug and the fact that the bark tends to be thin and easily damaged so it would need extra protection when moving and digging. You could root prune it now and move it late next winter. Here's some sites that should be helpful.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/ILEVOMB.pdf
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG089
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/WO017
http://www.citrolima.com.br/enembalagem.htm
http://www.tree-planting.com/tree-planting-8.htm
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/f1147w.htm
http://mdvaden.com/articles.shtml#transplant

Scroll down here to #11 for video on root pruning. Also lots of other helpful stuff on this page.
http://imageevent.com/mdvaden/treere...jbn1.buffalo_s

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.