Old 03-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Barry Andrews

Default K31 germination when overseeding

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for K31 Tall Fescue to germinate
when overseeding? I have read that it takes 14-21 days. I aerated and
heavily overseeded a week ago. (200 lbs. on 1/2 acre) I have watered
every day in the evening at least 30 minutes except on days that it
rained. The temperature has been between 60-70 degrees every day.
I am just afraid that by the time the seed comes up, the weeds will
overtake everything. They are very quickly spreading.

many thanks,

Barry
Old 04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 22:48:07 GMT, Barry Andrews
wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for K31 Tall Fescue to germinate
when overseeding? I have read that it takes 14-21 days. I aerated and
heavily overseeded a week ago. (200 lbs. on 1/2 acre) I have watered
every day in the evening at least 30 minutes except on days that it
rained. The temperature has been between 60-70 degrees every day.
I am just afraid that by the time the seed comes up, the weeds will
overtake everything. They are very quickly spreading.

many thanks,

Barry

You should see sprouts in about 10 days. Weeds are most active in the
spring. In time the overseeding should overtake (most) broadleaf
weeds. Rebel Supreme is much better than K31.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Barry Andrews

When you guys say better, what exactly do you mean? Better germination,
looks better, what?

thanks,

Barry

Old 04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:38:38 GMT, Barry Andrews
wrote:

When you guys say better, what exactly do you mean? Better germination,
looks better, what?

thanks,

Barry

Brands can make a difference. There is a certain percentage of weed
seeds in all grass mixes, some more than others. The composition of
the grass mix; ie, some have seasonal grasses which turn brown in the
winter. My neighbor uses K31 and there is a striking difference in
the color and type of grasses. Whatever brand/type you decide, select
a grass that grows best for your particular area (ask around
locally--nurseries, garden centers, co-operative extension, neighbors,
etc). Also ask the best time of year to overseed (in my location this
is around September). Always buy high quality seed. When you buy
grass seed look at the date and pass up anything older than 8 months.
As seed gets older germination is reduced.

Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 AM
David J Bockman

K31 is a very coarse broadleaved fescue, mostly suited for sports fields and
low budget applications. It also has a higher percentage of weed seeds then
higher quality 'residential' blends such as have already been mentioned.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

. net...