Old 05-04-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Help! Mold!

Hi, newbie here. Hope this is the right place to ask. :-)

We have a large plant that we've had for about 8 years. Currently it's
about 4 feet in height, and planted in a large tub in our living room.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned to hubby that the soil seemed low, so he
bought a bag and filled it up (about 3 inches).

This afternoon, I walked by, looked down, and gak! There is a film of
mold across the surface of the soil.

There isn't mold on any of our other plants, and the climate here is
extremely dry.

I'm a gardening dunderhead, but we've managed to keep the plants going
with weekly watering and a spike once in a while over the years.

But mold....never dealt with mold. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Best regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Old 05-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Try a light dusting of cinnamon on the surface.

Old 06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Good suggestion about the cinnamon. The mold came with the soil that you added. Also adding soil to the top of the pot is not a good idea. You can smother the roots of your plant. Roots need oxygen. I would suggest that you remove the plant from the pot and remove the soil from the top. If you want to raise the soil level it needs to be added to the bottom of the pot or the plant needs a pot that is 2" larger. Here's a site to help with your houseplants.
http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

You may be able to id your plant here.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...ery/index.html

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:48 AM

Thank you both for your kind replies. I will try the cinnamon until
the weather is warmer and can repot (it's so huge it would need a dolly
and would best be done outside).

Also, thanks SO much for the links! They were very informative.

Best regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Old 09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Thank you both for your kind replies. I will try the cinnamon until the weather is warmer and can repot (it's so huge it would need a dolly and would best be done outside).

Also, thanks SO much for the links! They were very informative.

Best regards,

Ana
http://*******ette.blogspot.com/

Ana, you are very welcome!
Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

[IMG] code is On

Clematis and white mold...?? a little help needed chris Gardening 0 08-08-2003 07:04 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
[IBC] Mold on Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 12-03-2003 11:44 AM
Mold on Blake & Jennifer Bonsai 0 12-03-2003 04:10 AM
leaf mold and compost mmarteen Gardening 9 07-02-2003 04:27 PM