Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Donald Gares

Default Next gladiolus question

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what you
read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like eveyone
used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few, if any,
individuals do in our area.

Don

Old 07-04-2005, 04:03 AM
dedmeat

Donald Gares wrote:
In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what you
read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like eveyone
used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few, if any,
individuals do in our area.

Don

Hardy gladiolus can be left in the ground.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:57 AM
Donald Gares

dedmeat wrote:

Donald Gares wrote:

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what
you read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like
eveyone used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few,
if any, individuals do in our area.

Don

Hardy gladiolus can be left in the ground.

I think we will give it a shot and just leave them in over the winter
and see what we get the following spring. Heck, at $1.97 for 30 we don't
have too much to lose. :-)

Don

Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 PM
extincted

"Donald Gares" wrote in message

dedmeat wrote:

Donald Gares wrote:

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what
you read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like
eveyone used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few,
if any, individuals do in our area.

Don

Hardy gladiolus can be left in the ground.

I think we will give it a shot and just leave them in over the winter
and see what we get the following spring. Heck, at $1.97 for 30 we don't
have too much to lose. :-)

Don

Get them out in autumn if you want them to live and plant them in spring
when ground temperature is 15 centigrades of celsius. Of course there are
various sorts of gladiolus, early, mid or late (flower), the last we plant
over here about 15. july.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Richard

Donald Gares wrote in news:42542F71.6070001
@crsales.com:

In planting zone 5 do you really have to dig up the bulbs each fall,
store them, and then replant them the following spring?

I did a Google search and found the above info but I know that what you
read is nor always "carved in stone". In fact, it seems like eveyone
used to cover their rose bushes in the fall but now very few, if any,
individuals do in our area.

Don

The big, floofy, commonly found in wedding and funeral bouquet
arrangement glads are not reliably hardy in zone 5. Some years, with
mulch for protection, we've had some of them (5 to 30%) overwinter next
to the foundation. Other years, nada. Varieties called 'hardy' glads,
which have smaller, more exotic-looking flowers, are more reliable and
with mulch in the fall are reliably hardy.

Glads are inexpensive enough and common enough that I just let em freeze
and get me a new color selection in the spring

Richard

Old 09-04-2005, 04:22 AM
Travis

dedmeat wrote:

Donald Gares wrote:

[...]

15 centigrades of celsius?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Travis

Paulo wrote:
International measurment...even in Canada

Well not in BC. I watch a lot of the CBC news both local and national
and I have never heard the weather report say tomorrow it will be 15
centigrades of celsius. They say it will be 15 and on the map it will
have the "c" next to the number.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington