Old 06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
JeninChicago

Default Care of spring bulbs?

This year is the third year my hyacinths and tulips have been in the
ground. I can't tell yet about the tulips, but the hyacinths look like
they're putting up A LOT of greenery and very few flowers on multiple
stalks. Am I supposed to dig them up and divide them or something?

Thanks for the help and please reply to this news group.

Jen in Chicago

Old 07-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:13 -0700, JeninChicago wrote:

This year is the third year my hyacinths and tulips have been in the
ground. I can't tell yet about the tulips, but the hyacinths look like
they're putting up A LOT of greenery and very few flowers on multiple
stalks. Am I supposed to dig them up and divide them or something?

Thanks for the help and please reply to this news group.

Jen in Chicago

I dig up the tulips after flowering and toss them, they do crappy the
following year. I actually toss them way down in the back yard and just
leave them. After a few years they start blooming again and I have a
naturalized look. Hys I dig up after the foliage dies back and replant in
the fall.

Tom

Old 08-05-2005, 08:39 PM
David Efflandt

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:09:38 GMT, Tom Randy wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:00:13 -0700, JeninChicago wrote:

This year is the third year my hyacinths and tulips have been in the
ground. I can't tell yet about the tulips, but the hyacinths look like
they're putting up A LOT of greenery and very few flowers on multiple
stalks. Am I supposed to dig them up and divide them or something?

Thanks for the help and please reply to this news group.

Jen in Chicago

I dig up the tulips after flowering and toss them, they do crappy the
following year. I actually toss them way down in the back yard and just
leave them. After a few years they start blooming again and I have a
naturalized look. Hys I dig up after the foliage dies back and replant in
the fall.

I don't know about hyacinths, but I bought a home in 2002 and the assorted
tulips and daffodils that were blooming that spring have flowered
beautifully every spring since then on their own. So I have not even
looked into what I should do with them. The only care I give them is to
not mow them until their foliage shrivels up and just about disappears.

But then everything else grows fine (including roses) with no more work
than pruning in late winter or early spring, and plucking maple, elm, and
peach seedlings (and dandilions), so maybe my 95 year old home has
naturally fertile soil. Daylilies on east drip edge of my gutterless
garage grow like weeds.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Merle O'Broham

My hys and tulips did just OK. We had a cold dry spring this year.
Looking around the block (I'm also in Chicago) shows about the same for
everyone. I'd leave the bulbs and wait til next year. Ground is bone
dry already.

Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Leon Trollski

"David Efflandt" wrote in message
[...]

My Hyacinths have returned for five years (Zone 3A). Fertilize them as they
grow. Deadhead. They may flower next year.

[IMG] code is On

Garden Gnomes care about the environment? Obviously not! Take legal action against fishing groups, under the duty of care rule. Brian[_9_] United Kingdom 0 07-02-2007 09:01 PM
Iris bulbs care help birdieb Gardening 3 22-12-2005 10:53 PM
spring bulbs miklol United Kingdom 2 25-05-2003 02:56 PM
Storage for spring bulbs? Mick709 Gardening 1 08-03-2003 11:56 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 03:48 AM