Old 07-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Lynn Coffelt

Default Sunflower seedlings flopping over

rank amateur here,
Combing through old messages here, I see flopping over sunflowers is
nothing unusual (or anything to be proud of). Just to be clear, I'm trying
to start them inside for transplanting a little later (when the hard winds
and heavy rains ease up..... Northwest Washington State)
Seems avoiding too much water and fertilizer help with "leggy" growth
(growing like gangbusters) which cannot support themselves. Staking doesn't
seem like rewarding work, but is it sometimes necessary?
Lynn

Old 07-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Timothy

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:31:07 -0700, Lynn Coffelt wrote:

rank amateur here,
Combing through old messages here, I see flopping over sunflowers is
nothing unusual (or anything to be proud of). Just to be clear, I'm trying
to start them inside for transplanting a little later (when the hard winds
and heavy rains ease up..... Northwest Washington State)
Seems avoiding too much water and fertilizer help with "leggy" growth
(growing like gangbusters) which cannot support themselves. Staking
doesn't seem like rewarding work, but is it sometimes necessary? Lynn

You may not have enough light and they are getting leggy. I tend to start
the sunflowers right now and place them out around the first week of may
or I direct sow them mid april.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 09-04-2005, 01:19 AM
David J Bockman

And something of the reverse is also true-- too warm and too much sun makes
them take off too quickly as well.

email:
http://beyondgardening.com/Albums

Old 11-04-2005, 01:13 AM
Jim Carlock

What about a sunflower with 4 buds? I'll post a pic in the binaries group.

--
Jim Carlock
Please post replies to newsgroup.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Lynn Coffelt

Our neighbor had some sunflowers with multiple buds, I would like to see
your picture, but I can't locate the binaries newsgroup for gardening.
Please help!
Rank Newbee
Lynn

Old 11-04-2005, 02:19 AM
Jim Carlock

It just posted here...
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

The main bud is about 1.25" across, then there are 3 smaller buds.
I'll have to take 10 more pics I think before I get a good one of the
buds. g

Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Lynn Coffelt

Thanks for that last picture, I sort of see additional buds close to the
main bud. The neighbor's multi headed sunflowers had buds appearing along
the main stem, completely separate from each other. Unfortunately, no
pictures at all.
Lynn

Old 11-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Jim Carlock

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:
Thanks for that last picture, I sort of see additional buds close to
the main bud. The neighbor's multi headed sunflowers had buds
appearing along the main stem, completely separate from each
other. Unfortunately, no pictures at all.

Yeah, the extra buds seem to be growing on little stems branching off the
main stem. I'm thinking that as it grows another two feet, the extra buds
will start to appear lower on the main stem.

Here's the information off of the packet of seeds...

Walmart Gardens (97 cents).
Sunflower, Evening Sun, Unusual Colors
Package Number: 4706
Inked Stamp: "2004 Lot I1, Org-Holland".
Days to Germination: 7-21
Days to bloom: 80 - 90
Plant Height: 6 feet (it's a little over 4 feet now).
Plant Spacing: 18-24 inches
sunflower. Petals have a velvety feel. Spectacular blooms about 8 inches in
diameter. Easy to grow.

This info is also posted in the alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. It sticks
around a little longer in this group and is easier to find in the future.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Lynn Coffelt

Thanks to all
I believe my greenhouse runs a little too hot in the daytime, and wife
told me "What did I tell you about Miricle Gro?"
Rank Wanabe Gardner
Lynn