Old 07-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Default red worms in toronto

Gary:

I had vermicimposters for years when I belonged to the Master Composters
program sponsered by the Recycling Council of Ontario and used to test
prototype outdoors composters for the City of Toronto so I feel that I have
a pretty good understanding of (vermi)composting. I also have pretty much
every composting book on the market. So I am particularly peeved at this
situation and trying to understand what could have happened.

The worms were already in 1/2 lb packages when I bought them. Basically
worms and peat moss packaged up in a stack of damp newspapers. Sealed with
packing tape. I put them in my cloth bag. I walked four blocks from the
community centre to my car ( the temperature was about 4 degrees celsius.
Not cold enough to kill them in the packaging). I took them home and left
them in the package for about 4 or 5 hours while I went out and bought a new
Rubbermaid container and rinsed it. I drilled holes in the side about two
inches from the bottom and inserted 2 PVC pipes with holes in them that I
used in previous composters ( cleaned, of course).The pipes were capped with
plastic mesh caps. I also drilled 4 vent holes in the top and used the same
mesh ventilation caps for top ventilation.

I rinsed out my paper shredder container and shredded brown paper bags that
I collected and then soaked them. After an hour I drained off that water and
put the bedding in the composter, opened the package and let the worms crawl
out. The cellulose in the paper usually suffices as food indefinitely. I
pulled the packaging out after all the worms had moved out of it. It was f
ew days before I added food scraps as I found out the hard way years ago not
to overload the container. A few worms tried crawling up to the top but I
kept throwing them back in. After about a week I started pushing things
around and realized that the worms were dying. There were a few eggs but
not what I normally see. I left the lid off to see if more ventilation
helped, checked the mositure level etc. but it was too late. They were all
gone after two weeks. I can only think of a few things that went wrong:

- they got a terminal chill either travelling from wherever she brought them
from ( or in the 4 blocks I carried them. I find that hard to believe
though) and never recovered.
- the pH in the bin got out of hand somehow ( I don't have a pH tester at
the moment)
- somehow they didn't have enough ventilation ( I have never had this
problem before especially with this composter design)
- something in the materials was toxic to them.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. I would really appreciate
the input.

Old 09-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Pen

I don't know why but it's usually a good idea to get your bin and
bedding set up a week in advance. Shredded paper for some reason is
harsh on worms when first moistened. In your case if you just bought
the worm and didn't have anywhere to put them, moisten soiless potting
mix or coir in a smaller, separate container would have sufficed. Let
them rest there a week while your bin and bedding settles then dump
the contents of the smaller container into your worm bin. Coir or
coconut husk can be found at plant nurseries, it's usually near the
orchid mixes.

Also take a look at this site: www.wormdigest.org/
Old 09-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Thanks, Pen.

I have always used brown paper and never had problems but there is always a
first time. When I got the worms I had no idea that I would be setting up.
It was an impulsive gesture brought on by the fact that there is nowhere to
get them in this city and I just took advantage of the moment.

I have bookmarked the website. It looks really interesting. I think I had
this site before and lost it so I'm glad to get it back.

om...