Old 09-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Nicks40

Default What to bring back from Costa Rica?

We're going to Costa Rica April/May for 3 weeks on a naturalist tour
of most of the country.

We are keen gardeners in England, in US terms about zone 9, and would
like suggestions as to what we could usefully bring back for the
outdoor garden. Seeds, not plants obviously. We have plenty of space,
our site is exposed to the wind, but only gets a degree or two below
freezing at worst.

Also some recommendations as to good places to obtain seeds?

Thanks

Nick and Nick
Old 09-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Starlord

If you looked around you'd find a lot of Canna growing, and I'd be happy to
pay postage for canna seeds from there. I once had one from there when I was
in Hawaii and it's bloom was unlike any others I've seen. Sadly I lost it
during the move so I'm always watching for anyone going there. I've been
told there's lots of many types of I.Canna growing down there.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Cereus-validus.....

How about malaria?

The best place to find seeds is in mature fruit!!!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Montazuma's Revenge

Brush up on your geography, Snoozey.

Montezuma's Revenge would be if they visited Mexico.

http://home.echo-on.net/~smithda/montezuma2.html

Old 11-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Snooze

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
. ..
Montazuma's Revenge

Brush up on your geography, Snoozey.

Montezuma's Revenge would be if they visited Mexico.

http://home.echo-on.net/~smithda/montezuma2.html

I realize that Montezuma was near Mexico city, but Montezuma's Revenge is
diarrhea and related sickness caused by an e. coli infection, usually from
drinking contaminated water, something you can get just about anywhere in
the world.
Are you this pedantic outside of usenet?

Since we're quoting urls, try this one since it's much more topical. In
particular the 2nd paragraph.
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/73/88806

-S

Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
"Snooze" wrote:

Id bring back just information. Morgan & Morgan may have the seeds.
Also bring back your impression of a charming people.

Exporting plants may be possible but these days may require quarantine
and more.

Have a great visit!

Bill

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade garden in a Japanese manner
Vision problems? http://www.ocutech.com/ we own two.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Frogleg

"Nicks40" wrote

We're going to Costa Rica April/May for 3 weeks on a naturalist tour
of most of the country.

We are keen gardeners in England, in US terms about zone 9, and would
like suggestions as to what we could usefully bring back for the
outdoor garden. Seeds, not plants obviously. We have plenty of space,
our site is exposed to the wind, but only gets a degree or two below
freezing at worst.

There probably aren't many seeds you can't obtain from mail order or
online. I would concentrate on getting local lore on plants you see
and fancy. Keep in mind that "a degree or 2 below freezing" is fatal
to many/most tropicals.
Old 13-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:28:24 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

There probably aren't many seeds you can't obtain from mail order or
online. I would concentrate on getting local lore on plants you see
and fancy.

There is a terrific kick in bringing home exotic seeds from some
tropical trip to our cooler climate and seeing if , and where, they
grow/survive. This must be the thrill the Victorian plant hunters and
collectors felt :-) If they survive, the plant means so much more
because it's a souvenir of that trip. Buying the same thing from a
catalogue just ain't the same.

^_^ I agree completely. Just as bringing a seed home in your pocket
and starting your own plant is more (much) satisfying than picking one
out at the garden center. However, I still think it would be more
productive to spent time learning as much about the different plants
as possible, rather than poking around trying to locate a seed seller.

[IMG] code is On

"Walking Tree" of Costa Rica. Is it Makainki ????? Alan Jones Plant Science 18 07-06-2008 03:48 AM
I need to know the botanical name of a palm named "Palmera Navidena" en Costa Rica calitico United Kingdom 1 16-11-2005 04:58 PM
Export to Costa Rica swami Roses 0 03-10-2004 02:39 AM
Roses in Costa Rica ??? paul simdars Roses 0 14-07-2003 02:02 AM
Tropical Biology course/ecotour Winter Break (2003-04) COSTA RICA Cardamine Plant Science 0 05-05-2003 06:44 AM