Old 10-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

Default asparagus bamboo? - Some photos here

"Frankie V. Fernandez, MD" wrote in message
I got a plant from the local nursery today. The stems, culms and leaves are
bamboo in configuration, except that they are smaller. The plant is also
vining, with a habitus much like an asparagus. Does anybody have an idea
what plant this might be? I tried google searches for "asparagus bamboo"
but all results(!) return 33 pages of vegetable websites' indexes
".....asparagus, bamboo....."

Thanks in advance!

Frankie

You may view some pics here. Sorry if they are a bit dim.

http://community.webshots.com/album/318706379YOlptF

I don't think it's a bamboo species. Unfortunately, I bought it at a
roadside nursery and the seller doesn't have an idea either.

Frankie

Old 24-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Frankie V. Fernandez, MD

Hello again Cereus-validus and the rest of you guys and gals!

I saw some flower buds days ago and waited for them to open up. Well, they
did open up for a few hours early in the evening. White colored, with three
petals and three sepals. Around the single stigma is a hairy "cup" (don't
know how else to describe it). There is no scent. Sorry about the pics.
They were taken at night indoors.
http://community.webshots.com/album/318706379YOlptF Look at pics 5-8.
Thanks!

Frankie

Old 24-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Turns out the plant is even more strange than a Ruscus.

The fringed petals show it to be Eustrephus latifolius, the "Wombat Berry"
of Australia!!!!