Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
sl

Default What kind of palm trees are these?

We live in Florida. In the last 3 weeks we have over 3 offers from total
strangers to buy these palm trees

http://www.lomicka.com/images/misc/DSC00032.JPG
http://www.lomicka.com/images/misc/DSC00033.JPG

for $250 each. When we purchased the house the owner told us they were
'special'. I have forgotten the name she told me but I thought it had
either 'fire' or 'red' in the name.

What kind of trees are these? What makes them 'special?'.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Ricky

"sl" wrote in message
. ..
We live in Florida. In the last 3 weeks we have over 3 offers from total
strangers to buy these palm trees

http://www.lomicka.com/images/misc/DSC00032.JPG
http://www.lomicka.com/images/misc/DSC00033.JPG

for $250 each. When we purchased the house the owner told us they were
'special'. I have forgotten the name she told me but I thought it had
either 'fire' or 'red' in the name.

What kind of trees are these? What makes them 'special?'.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - those are common Washingtonia robusta - Mexican Fan Palm. The
previous owner might have thought they were Washingtonia filifera - Desert
Fan Palm, but they are not. W. filifera has a much thicker trunk. Either
way, $250 each is a fair price for that size palm. They will eventually grow
to over 50' and become a maintenance nightmare. Sell them and replace them
with Foxtail Palms if you want palms or some nice flowering tree.