GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID, please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92253-plant-id-please.html)

Charles Woolever 11-04-2005 02:13 AM

Plant ID, please

http://ny.existingstations.com/Holly.jpg

It's not holly but that's what I called the photo. It's a woodland
evergreen that is low-growing, less than 18". Northeast U.S. I'm in
Western NY State. Leaves turn deep red in winter and then green up as it
starts to warm up, hence the green coming on in the leaves close to the
leaf litter, out of the wind. If I remember correctly, it has yellow
flowers, but I may not be remembering that correctly from last year when
I first found it. Each plant typically has just a few gently-arching
branches coming out of the ground. It tends to be clumped together in
places. Woodlands is hardwood and in shade during the summer. Area can
tend towards wet but not standing water.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Charles

paghat 11-04-2005 02:41 AM

In article ,
Charles Woolever wrote:

http://ny.existingstations.com/Holly.jpg

It's not holly but that's what I called the photo. It's a woodland
evergreen that is low-growing, less than 18". Northeast U.S. I'm in
Western NY State. Leaves turn deep red in winter and then green up as it
starts to warm up, hence the green coming on in the leaves close to the
leaf litter, out of the wind. If I remember correctly, it has yellow
flowers, but I may not be remembering that correctly from last year when
I first found it. Each plant typically has just a few gently-arching
branches coming out of the ground. It tends to be clumped together in
places. Woodlands is hardwood and in shade during the summer. Area can
tend towards wet but not standing water.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Charles

Looks like Oregon Grape to me, though I suppose other things have the same
leaves. You're saying it grows wild in the Northeast? Mahonia repens or
Mahonia aquifolium reach the Northeast as native plants, all the other
north american species are further west or southwest.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html

Charles Woolever 11-04-2005 11:54 AM

Yes, it is growing in the woods behind my house. I assume it is wild.

Charles

In article ,

David J Bockman 11-04-2005 03:18 PM

In the Mahonia family, possibly Mahonia repens. Here's a good thumbnail
description to help ID:

Species Height # leaflets Bloom Time Fruit
bealei 6-10' 9 - 13 Feb. - Apr. lt. Blue
aquifolium 3 - 6' 5 - 9 April blue-black
x media 8 - 15' 17 - 21 Nov. - Feb. small blue-black
repens 1 - 1-1/2' 3 - 7 April small, blue-black

Cereus-validus..... 11-04-2005 04:25 PM

Its not native to your area.

More likely it naturalized itself as an escape from cultivation or it grew
from seeds deposited from bird poop.

"Charles Woolever" wrote in message
Yes, it is growing in the woods behind my house. I assume it is wild.

Charles

In article ,

Cereus-validus..... 11-04-2005 04:30 PM

Mahonia is a genus not a family, Dizzy Dave.

Many authorities even unite Mahonia with Berberis.

The two genera will actually hybridize if given the opportunity.

Really cannot say exactly which species from the photo provided. Your
"thumbnail descriptions" are worthless.

Charles Woolever 11-04-2005 09:17 PM

After reading more about the plant, I reached the same conclusion. As
I've read more, there seems to be a consensus that the low
sparse-looking shrub (like I have here) and the taller shrubs are the
same plant. The small shrub reproducing via rhizomes and the taller one
using seeds, all-though not exclusively. It is considered the same
plant, just a different phase. You can read about this in the Audubon
wildflowers or shrubs field guide for the Western US.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Charles

In article ,
"Cereus-validus....." wrote:

Its not native to your area.

More likely it naturalized itself as an escape from cultivation or it grew
from seeds deposited from bird poop.

"Charles Woolever" wrote in message
Yes, it is growing in the woods behind my house. I assume it is wild.

Charles

In article ,

Charles Woolever 11-04-2005 09:27 PM

Thank you to everyone who was able to help me via my worthless thumbnail
descriptions. You all came up with the same genus which significantly
reduced the options for me. I've since checked with Cornell Cooperative
Extension and repens it was.

Charles

Cereus-validus..... 12-04-2005 04:13 PM

Michael Dirr has nothing to do with it, peanut head.

So you copied from his book, big deal. You are proof that any clueless idiot
can do that. Next time you steal info, you should cite your source.

Mahonia is a much larger genus with many species, hybrids and cultivars that
Dirr doesn't even list.