Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 AM
rick m

Default Need ideas for border shrub

I have a 3/4 acre square lot in Asheville, NC (zone 7 I believe). One
section fronts a side street, and I would like to put something in
there to kill some of the noise and block the view of the street.
Eventually I'm going to put a fence in on our side of the shrubline to
contain our pending dog.

Requirements:
1) fairly fast growing if possible
2) thick to provide privacy and noise reduction
3) pretty foliage, berries would be nice

The area is on the southern end of our lot and is mostly exposed.
They'd be planted off the side of the road a bit on the top of a slope.

Recommendations please. Cypress? Red tips? I like leyland cypress, but
they seem more tree than shrub.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM
alice

"rick m" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 3/4 acre square lot in Asheville, NC (zone 7 I believe). One
section fronts a side street, and I would like to put something in
there to kill some of the noise and block the view of the street.
Eventually I'm going to put a fence in on our side of the shrubline to
contain our pending dog.

Requirements:
1) fairly fast growing if possible
2) thick to provide privacy and noise reduction
3) pretty foliage, berries would be nice

The area is on the southern end of our lot and is mostly exposed.
They'd be planted off the side of the road a bit on the top of a slope.

Recommendations please. Cypress? Red tips? I like leyland cypress, but
they seem more tree than shrub.

Thanks,
Rick

I live north of you in Weaverville.. I would plant Leyland cypress..they
really
look best as a tree but they can be trimmed to be bush like. They are super
fast growers. Red tip phytonia have some kind of fungus that kills them so I
would
not go for them..Pieris, there are many types, are great shrubs but I think
they
require some shade and acidic soil.

http://www.bugwood.org/christmas/leylandfact.html
http://www.plantanswers.com/calvin/small_shrugs.htm

[IMG] code is On

North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
Flowering hedge/border ideas Groundswell Gardening 12 24-03-2004 06:33 PM
Border Garden Ideas? Riddles Gardening 7 13-01-2004 03:33 AM
ideas for privacy/border shrub? Two x over Gardening 5 21-03-2003 07:08 PM
A 'quick' border - ideas? Rosie United Kingdom 1 09-03-2003 09:21 PM