Old 12-04-2005, 05:45 AM
Daniel_B

Default Xmas-cactus plant blooming now.

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas
it didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms
starting to grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has
been for years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't
needed to be re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this?
Dan.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Phisherman

On 11 Apr 2005 21:45:41 -0700, "Daniel_B" wrote:

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas
it didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms
starting to grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has
been for years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't
needed to be re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this?
Dan.

One of my zygocactus has bloomed three times(!) this past winter.
They spent the last summer on the deck where they got morning sun and
I used fish emulsion. I suspect your cactus got a good dose of bright
light at some point that messed up the flowering mechanism.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Tom Randy

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:45:41 -0700, Daniel_B wrote:

Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas it
didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms starting to
grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has been for
years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't needed to be
re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this? Dan.

It's normal, your plant is happy! Mine are blooming too right now.

Enjoy!

Old 13-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Lisa Hurley

The plants usually need a little chill to get blooming. Living in Northern
Montana, this usually isn't a problem for me. I just set the plant near a
north window or close them up in the spare bedroom with the heat vents
closed -- and they always set blossoms. Dont' know where you live, but if
your plants experienced a small temperature drop, that may be why they are
blooming.

Lisa

"Daniel_B" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, My plant usually blooms right around Christmas time. Last Xmas
it didn't bloom at all. Now in April it is quite a few blossoms
starting to grow. I don't get it. The plant is in the same place it has
been for years. Gets the same amount of light and darkness. I hasn't
needed to be re-potted either. Just curious as why it might do this?
Dan.

[IMG] code is On

Xmas cactus question Wishy13764 Gardening 1 23-11-2004 03:44 AM
Zygocactus/Xmas Cactus David Ross Gardening 37 28-07-2004 06:02 PM
xmas cactus Sammy' Gardening 1 11-12-2003 02:02 AM
"Christmas cactus" blooming Mceezee Gardening 4 15-11-2003 07:42 PM
Xmas cactus blooming Dennis Brown North Carolina 3 30-05-2003 03:44 PM