Old 13-04-2005, 07:25 AM
sherwindu

Default Worrysome green stuff

Possibly because of over watering and over fertilizing, my newly planted seedlings now in peat pots
are showing signs of green growth at the soil top level. Is this something
that can effect the young plants, and if so, what is the best way to get rid of it? They
are still in trays under fluorescent lamps, and I just removed the plastic covers.

Old 13-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Doug Kanter

1) Don't worry TOO much. Keep the covers off, and set up a fan to keep the
air moving.

2) You said "over fertilizing". Don't fertilize pots/trays of soil which
have nothing growing in them. I know some potting soil contains slow-release
plant food. That's something you can't control, unless you buy different
soil. But, do NOT add any fertilizer of your own until you see the first one
or two sets of true leaves. They arrive after the "seed leaves".

When fertilizing tiny things, use liquid fertilizer, MIXED MUCH WEAKER than
the instructions suggest. Since it's often difficult to water tiny things
from the top, set the pots in the water, but be attentive. Come back in a
half hour and take the pots OUT of the water so they can drain.

Old 13-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
1) Don't worry TOO much. Keep the covers off, and set up a fan to keep the
air moving.

You really need that fan too. The same thing happened to me with my
first seedlings. I didn't know what to do and had no one to ask. It was
a very long night scraping of the green from about eight flats. They
turned out all right in the end.

You see some in the nurseries with some green too. Especially when
they've been sitting there a while. Why can't I think of the name of it?

Jean Anne
Zone 5 OH
Old 13-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
1) Don't worry TOO much. Keep the covers off, and set up a fan to keep
the air moving.

You really need that fan too. The same thing happened to me with my first
seedlings. I didn't know what to do and had no one to ask. It was a very
long night scraping of the green from about eight flats. They turned out
all right in the end.

You see some in the nurseries with some green too. Especially when they've
been sitting there a while. Why can't I think of the name of it?

Jean Anne
Zone 5 OH

There's "damping off" disease, but if I recall, that's a fungus, not visible
like the green stuff. However, the dead plants are visible. :-)

Old 17-04-2005, 07:28 PM
loonyhiker

Thanks! This was really neat!

wrote in message
http://rangenet.org/crosswords/wildflowers/index.html

[IMG] code is On

Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 05:07 PM
Blue-green grassy type stuff in lawn Ian Cundell United Kingdom 0 16-11-2003 06:23 PM
Green stuff Bob Knight Ponds 1 28-10-2003 05:12 PM
Tadpoles and green stuff Bob Stan Ponds 3 12-06-2003 03:44 PM
Green Powdery stuff? Sue Alexandre Ponds 4 16-05-2003 07:32 PM