Old 14-04-2005, 01:36 AM
madgardener

Default I did it again(this one's for you, Cereus-validus)

Well, I was sitting in the livingroom the other night, and was looking at
the cart where I have some of the cacti and a few plants sitting it out in
front of a southern window until I can once again put them outside for full
appreciation for sun, rain, etc, when I decided for some reason to look
closer at my huge golden barrel cactus I'd purchased a year and a half ago.
It had survived thru the first winter after I bought it in replacement to
the smaller one, and loved the spring, summer and fall outside despite the
massive rainy weather we had last year. Moved it inside to the livingroom
(where my house is warm and dry due to heat pump), it got winter southern
exposure and slight watering every three weeks in a well draining pot that I
made sure never had standing water on it. Walked over to it and poked it
carefully with a chop-stick and sure enough, my subtle feelings were dead
on.............it was dead, the spines were just fooling me into thinking it
was still whole. I've killed yet another large specimen. Cereus, is it
because ALL these cacti need cooler, dryer temps? Emphasis on the
cooler......the house was consistantly 76-78 degrees, and dry. (heat pumps
do that, dry out the air badly) and I have decided regardless of wheather
there appears yet another large and tempting golden barrel cactus for sale
at Lowes for $19.97, I will NOT purchase it despite my adoration for them.
What on earth am I doing to these poor things that they're dissolving like
this? Makes me decide never to grow cacti again.........I know why the
kalanchole died, you hafta water those and I've been distracted with the two
under the aquarium with the timed plant light. this has been a distractable
year, to say the least. But I'll appreciate you're take on the reason, as
this isn't the first nice cactus I've had to do this over a span of a couple
of decades. (the Cerius cacti by the way is fine.......but that pot is
HUGE, the plant is HUGE and I suspect it rides out the dry enviroment better
than the smaller plants, althought this barrel cactus was as large as a
basketball.........sigh sniff ) Thanks for response when you
see this, Cereus.
madgardener, up on the soaked and damp ridge, back in faerie holler,
overlooking cloud draped English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee

Old 14-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Phisherman

Hey Maddie, I suspect your cactus was overwatered, perhaps by Lowes.
I water all my cactus once a month during the winter months. All get
some some sun, then *some* are placed out on the deck (without
saucers) during the summer months when I feed them with some diluted
fish emulsion. I prop the pots up on two sticks for fast drainage.
My pencil cactus survived some sunburn last summer. In Oak Ridge,
TN
Old 14-04-2005, 02:46 AM
madgardener

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Hey Maddie, I suspect your cactus was overwatered, perhaps by Lowes.

No honey, I've had it for over a year. It came in a shipment of cacti and I
grabbed it. I tried not to overwater it this winter, but I suspect that the
warm, dry house was the inevitable cause of it's death. I just wonder why
they mush out and dry up and appear to be still alive. Two weeks ago it was
solid and fine. This literally happened in the last two weeks when I wasn't
paying attention.

I will say that I am not replacing lost cacti this year at all. I won't be
working in two more weeks, and the plant budget will be cut severely. What I
have that has survived thru the years and winters will be what I have for
now. It'll be good for me not to be up under the temptations of the plants
all the time g I'm putting in notice Friday.

I water all my cactus once a month during the winter months. All get
some some sun, then *some* are placed out on the deck (without
saucers) during the summer months when I feed them with some diluted
fish emulsion. I prop the pots up on two sticks for fast drainage.

I have all my cacti in fast draining soils and clay pots and no saucers and
they thrive outside. It's inside they suffer horribly. I don't have a cool
enough room to put all of them where they can get the winter light. That
means, I have too many......................... As much as I love them, I
have to quit this impulsivness because I always lose at least six or seven
plants every winter. This time, I lost more plants than normal because of
my erratic schedules. Maybe once I get back to normal routines from not
working I can be more attentative to the plants I have remaining. I hope
so. (that golden barrel was sooooo beautiful!! and HUGE sniff )
My pencil cactus survived some sunburn last summer. In Oak Ridge,
TN

mine did fine, but I lost the largest pot of them, the smallest one is just
fine.............I've lost a lot of plants this
winter..................................time to reassess my plant passions a
bit better. (Zhan's Korean crinum bloomed downstairs where I placed it under
fluorescent lights for the winter, and I wonder if that would have been the
better spot for the larger cacti? )

I bet your redbuds and dogwoods around your home are bursting all over the
place too! With the time I hope I'll have later, I hope I can get a handle
on the weedy pathways between my garden boxes and do that clearing I have
needed to do forever. This is our 10th year and I still haven't cleaned out
the fence row that runs west down my slope. Once I clear out those privet
and honeysuckle vines, there will be more light in the sides of the yard and
I might be able to have a fence row strip with sun loving
flowers........we'll see how that goes.

thanks for the input!

madgardener

Old 14-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Travis

madgardener wrote:
[...]

snip

Why on earth do you keep your house so warm? Don't you have a room with
some light and a door to close it off for the winter? I have 2 cacti,
don't know the names but they do fine in a South window. We keep the
house at 68 during the day and 65 at night.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Cereus-validus.....

The sudden loss of a plant can be a perplexing thing to deal with. Sometimes
they seem to just die despite our best efforts seemingly for no reason. You
appear to have done your best to hold them over the winter dormancy period
so you shouldn't feel responsible for the plant's untimely demise.

Succulents are most susceptible to rapid infections and parasites during the
winter resting season. It could have been a fungus infection. Usually the
cortex is too far gone before there are any apparent symptoms and there is
nothing that can be done to save the plant. You may also want to check the
roots for signs of root mealy bug infestation.

Old 14-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Tanya

madgardener wrote:
snip

Walked over to it and poked it
carefully with a chop-stick and sure enough, my subtle feelings were dead
on.............it was dead

i have to decide whether some cacti of mine are dead (they look to be in rigor
mortis (at best) they haven't done a thing for 1.5 years ... but i'd hate to
kill them if they are still *alive*)
what's the chop-stick routine?
(btw my condolences for your cactus

Old 14-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Cereus-validus.....

British houses are both cold AND DAMP!!!!!

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "madgardener" contains these words:

..the house was consistantly 76-78 degrees, and dry.

Holy cow, Mad....now I know why Americans think British houses are so
cold!!!!!!!!!

Janet (barefoot and comfortable, thermostat set at 65).

Old 14-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Maybe part of the reason for this communication breakdown is because you are
talking Fahrenheit and Janet is talking Centigrade.

In any case, I do not appreciate the two of you having a ****ing contest in
a thread meant for me. Unless your intention is to amuse me with this
comical farce. Abbot and Costello have nothing on you!!!!

"escape" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:54:10 +0100, Janet Baraclough
opined:

What is "cold outside" where you live?

During the day it can be anywhere from 30s to 60s, all of which are
believed to
be cold! Normally, our average temperature is 73 degrees on the year. In
winter, we get 30s for a few minutes here and there, most nights are in
the 40s
and days in the 60s. Cold enough to need heat for us.

Oh, have you been inside one?

Yes, of course, how else would I comment?

Janet. (Heating off. Stalactites dripping down neck)

Old 14-04-2005, 09:14 PM
madgardener

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...

The sudden loss of a plant can be a perplexing thing to deal with. Sometimes
they seem to just die despite our best efforts seemingly for no reason. You
appear to have done your best to hold them over the winter dormancy period
so you shouldn't feel responsible for the plant's untimely demise.

I just feel a bit responsible because I should have been more attentive.
Having said that.................I've found yet another dead one, looking
like all the world like it was alive. And I've had THIS one for
years......but it was close to the Golden barrel. There will be a LOT of
really neat looking pots that will be emptied of their bodies and soil very
soon. (possibly today) The cacti will be put into the compost pile near the
back so that the spines can eventually decompose, and the soils will be put
into the compost pile as well, since I suspect you are dead on with a few of
the deaths. Fungal problems are sneaky.

Succulents are most susceptible to rapid infections and parasites during the
winter resting season. It could have been a fungus infection. Usually the
cortex is too far gone before there are any apparent symptoms and there is
nothing that can be done to save the plant. You may also want to check the
roots for signs of root mealy bug infestation.

I usually recycle the soils on my cactus mix, but I think that this is a
perfect year to stop that cycle and start fresh. The ones that are still
alive and thriving (other than the normal winter stress, like the Ox-tongue
that has shriveled a bit, but seems fine, except for the bowl of different
ones that a sneaky cat or puppy (when he was smaller and more curious and
able to get into the space to where the bowl was sitting in the den) dug up
and I missed it. I haven't watered the plants in the den for a month, but
since this is the largest spot for the bulk of the cacti and a few tropicals
because there is a huge window that makes up the whole wall that faces
south, I suspect I can save a few that are lying outside the sandy soils.
I'll pot up the survivors and water them really well. This is what they do
in nature, which makes them awesome plants. Generating from broken pieces as
long as there is a succulent piece left is the neatest thing about cacti and
succulents. I just hate that I've lost large and older plants. For what
it's worth, the barrel probably was raised in Arizona somewhere, it didn't
even have tough sunburned skin yet. I suspect these aren't as tough as
babies that had been raised out in the desert. Having said that silly
statement, I think you know that what I'm saying is maybe some of the fast
grown cacti and succulents aren't given time to callous up and grow
"normal". .

I sometimes wish I lived where I could plant these outside where they'd
thrive. And another tangient thought...........if I had a true sunroom, I'd
just have a cactus garden that was exposed to south and western sunlight,
drained really well, wasn't heated so that it'd get cold but not freezing in
the winter, and they'd probably do just fine, including flower for me.
That's how I know they're not totally in their element. I used to have a
perfect place at the rented farmhouse we lived in before we bought this
place. It had great windows all the way around the house, leaky, drafty
windows. They were huge, too, to let in as much light as it could. And the
window sills were really wide. Wider than normal, I think. The two
bathrooms weren't that warm either, and one window faced south eastwards and
I used to put all the smaller pots of cacti on that window, the window
behind the washer and dryer (the vent was directed thru the wall into the
bathroom to add heat) despite the washer, was cooler and housed more smaller
pots of cacti and my larger ones. The room upstairs was the perfect room.
Not finished, raw, with just floor joists for a floor, the window was very
leaky with no insulation in the outer walls that faced eastern and
southwards (the house was a bit cockeyed in directions,) and all the largest
cacti were placed there for the winters. The big one just suffered in the
livingroom that faced northeast and got indirect western exposure thru the
west window. I think the Cerius cactus has survived because it had the most
soil and has a good developed root structure.

enough of this, thanks Cereus-validus for the thoughts on fungal diseases
(especially now that I've found another one dead and looking still alive
just next to the barrel cactus. fungal is very likely)

madgardener getting spring mad...........gbseg

Old 14-04-2005, 09:27 PM
madgardener

Why on earth do you keep your house so warm?

because I can? Because I get cold, and this is despite my layers of
clothing? Because my husband doesn't mind, he just wears shorts when he's
home? Or the probable answer............because the cat's like it warm and
miss our heated waterbed..................

Don't you have a room with
some light and a door to close it off for the winter?

Nope. I have a northern room that somehow Squire has turned into a "pantry"
that has a large but not large enough northern window. Yes, the vent can be
closed as it is above the totally unheated tool room that lies below that
USED to be the garage........But it never freezes down there because of the
bricko block walls, and the fact that the back of the house is underground
and temperatures maintain 56o underground. And before you ask.........yes,
the toolroom might be perfect (even the inner room that houses the furnace
and assorted things that need throwing away yesterday) and even the room off
THAT one that is off the open carport and sits underground completely and
has a huge front window that faces north and I could just hang lights there
and put tables and they'd love it, long as I let them have
dark..........................that room is the coldest. Doesn't freeze
because despite that I said the carport was "open" it is open in pieces.
The addition they built over it is over the top, with a large opening that
faces east but has northern exposures when the winds blow. Then there is
the place where there COULD be a rather neat but huge window that sits
directly center of the north part of the carport where there are huge
concrete supports and a lower bricko block wall that is about four foot
tall. There is then a door sized opening that goes out the "back" of the
carport and to the back terrace that the house sits on that is just wide
enough for some mischief by some garden fairies once I get rid of that
insidious black walnut tree. These openings make the carport drafty, REALLY
cold as it faces north and east, and it's backside is kinda underground.
But with the inner "tool room" (apparently that really WAS a tool room the
previous owner built after he removed the room sized boulder out from under
the house first when he decided to build the room onto the house later on,
you should SEE this boulder! He moved it himself without a bobcat or gas
powered machine, just man power and leverage tools. It was round enough he
worked it out across and to the edge of the first drop off of the land, and
he just rolled it over and it sits there still.....I'd LOVE to have a crane
to lift that puppie outa it's spot and put somewhere obvious and obnoxious
(like the middle of the end of the shared driveway EG so it was defining
the property line....and then plant that puppy up with sempervivums and
sedums LOL

I have 2 cacti,
don't know the names but they do fine in a South window. We keep the
house at 68 during the day and 65 at night.

Well, that's perfect for cacti and most succulents, but lately I've seemed
to like a warmer house. I'm sure I'll adjust once the budget tightens. g
Ain't you glad you ain't dealing with me at the thermostat!
madgardener

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 14-04-2005, 09:40 PM
madgardener

"Tanya" wrote in message
madgardener wrote:
snip

Walked over to it and poked it carefully with a chop-stick and sure enough,
my subtle feelings were dead on.............it was dead

i have to decide whether some cacti of mine are dead (they look to be in
rigor mortis (at best) they haven't done a thing for 1.5 years ... but i'd
hate to kill them if they are still *alive*) I know what you mean, today
I was watering (you could hear the remaining survivors all over the house
gasping and croaking their disbelief that the drought MIGHT be
over.............LOL) and I found yet ANOTHER one dead and resembling
life............and yes, I did the chopstick
test.............roflmao.................

what's the chop-stick routine?

I takes a chop stick, and goes over and pokes the cactus and if it goes all
the way in thru the spines, it's mushed out and even started drying, but
resembles life still...........I poked the other one and damnit, the chop
stick went thru the skin indicating I'd lost it and I've had THAT one for
over 15 years.........sigh, fungus might be the death dealer, added to that
my warm and dry house, and forgetfullness of watering.............. if the
chop stick hits resistant cactus flesh ( I don't SHOVE it, I poke it
tenderly to see if it gives or what) I know it's alright and hope I've
pushed it thru another winter.

(btw my condolences for your cactus

thank you, the compost pile will be most pleased to get the
roughage...........I can hear it's hunger grumbles from here (needing to
empty that pail of that kitchen slop too, which would be the perfect mix of
dry (dead cacti) and wet (kitchen glop)...........off to the
pile!!!!!!!!!!!!

, the house was consistantly 76-78 degrees, and dry. (heat pumps do that,
dry out the air badly)

by the way, just for sayings sake, the warmest the house has been is 78.
The coolest it is is around 70, with my nook at a constant, (can you hear me
Travis?) CONSTANT temperature of 57o F. The nook has no heat, just windows,
sits over that carport I described in my response to him earlier, a think
layer of insulation between the studs and behind paneling walls and not
drywall. The floor has no insulation under it, as it sits exposed to the
winds that whip thru the carport. We've hung a tarp to close off the south
corner as the opening made it even colder with the north winds ripping thru
to the other side. So to say the house is at 78o is kinda nice when I've
been sitting here at the computer where my toes are numb.......(that's why I
have a ceramic heater under the desk to warm the space for a bit before
shutting it back off) east window and south window and window in door are
all that lets in light, with the back room thru the doorway that faces the
north woods at my back. This nook stays cold. I know this because I have an
Accurite thermometer that measures the outside and inside temperatures and
gives me maximums and minimums to compare. As well as humidity. The house
is dry because the meter says 30% usually.

maddie

snip

Old 14-04-2005, 09:51 PM
madgardener

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
m...
Maybe part of the reason for this communication breakdown is because you

are
talking Fahrenheit and Janet is talking Centigrade.

nahhhhh, they just needed to banter at each other. They're fine, and still
speaking to each other. V isn't talking NORMAL Fahrenheit, by the way,
Cereus, she's talking TEXAS HEAT.............TOTALLY different animal
altogether honey! LOL

In any case, I do not appreciate the two of you having a ****ing contest

in
a thread meant for me. Unless your intention is to amuse me with this
comical farce. Abbot and Costello have nothing on you!!!!

Rather witty, ain't they? You answered me, and for that I appreciate
it...........as for them getting into a ****ing contest, they can't hold a
..............candle...................to you. You're rapier like wit always
slices at the most appropriate moment LOL You made me laugh today, thanks,
I needed it !

madgardener going off to empty pots, dispose of dead cactus bodies and scrub
pots with bleach.....just in case it IS fungal (which I think it is old
man..........I think you are right)

Old 15-04-2005, 04:20 AM
Cereus-validus.....

You are the one having the knipshin fit, poopy pants.

Maybe you are overdue for your naptime?

After all, you are the poster child for Valium!!!!

"escape" wrote in message
Be quiet you big baby.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:14:25 GMT, "Cereus-validus....."
opined:

Maybe part of the reason for this communication breakdown is because you
are
talking Fahrenheit and Janet is talking Centigrade.

In any case, I do not appreciate the two of you having a ****ing contest
in
a thread meant for me. Unless your intention is to amuse me with this
comical farce. Abbot and Costello have nothing on you!!!!

"escape" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:54:10 +0100, Janet Baraclough
opined:

What is "cold outside" where you live?

During the day it can be anywhere from 30s to 60s, all of which are
believed to
be cold! Normally, our average temperature is 73 degrees on the year.
In
winter, we get 30s for a few minutes here and there, most nights are in
the 40s
and days in the 60s. Cold enough to need heat for us.

Oh, have you been inside one?

Yes, of course, how else would I comment?

Janet. (Heating off. Stalactites dripping down neck)

[IMG] code is On

Calling Cereus-validus-........... Chuckie Gardening 0 25-02-2006 02:44 AM
Cereus-validus Travis Gardening 0 03-11-2005 06:42 PM
Abuse Record of Cereus-Validus/Ken Anderson Joe Gardening 35 06-02-2005 06:24 AM
Cereus-Validus is an offensive troll escapee Gardening 23 15-04-2004 09:02 PM