Old 15-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Curtis

Default Lawn Drainage

Hello,

We just finished building our house this spring and now I need to
tackle the job of installing drainage for gutters, sump pump and some
low lying areas. I have a retention pond at the rear corner of my
property so I will be draining into there. I also slope 14' from front
opposite corner to that rear corner so slope should not be an issue.

My question is, what kind of pipe is best? I have been thinking about
using the really good SDR26 pipe, green gasketed stuff for sewer lines
although it is really expensive and I need 429' of the stuff. What
other options are there? I don't want to use the black corrugated pipe
because I think it is crap.

Thanks.
Curtis

Old 15-04-2005, 04:42 PM
David J Bockman

Unfortunately, HDPE pipe is the industry standard material for most
residential landscape drainage systems. Why do you think it's crap?

Dave

oups.com...

Old 15-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Curtis

Dave,

Well, this is just my oppinion. I have a 1.5 acre lot and I got a
sizeable Kubota tractor. I don't want to risk collapsing it as I know
it collapses easy as well as I believe that it clogs easier than a
smooth wall pipe due to the corrugations. Either way, I think I will
be using some sort of smooth wall alternative which seems to be SDR26
or SDR35 pipe.

Thanks.
Curtis

Old 15-04-2005, 07:28 PM
David J Bockman

Hi Curtis,

Corrugated HDPE can come with the interior smooth, however the corrugation
serves to slow runoff and increase percolation (when full perforated pipe is
used). If a filter sock is used you'll minimize the possibility of clogging
(they come pre-equipped with filter sock now, really convenient.)

Dave

oups.com...

Old 18-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Curtis

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I think I have decided that I am going to go ahead and use
corrugated HDPE pipe however I am going to ensure that it is at least
12" underground. Now, the question, if I use this pipe with filter
sock, do I still need to bury it in gravel as well? Would I be better
served useing HDPE with no perforations for my longer runs? Like I
said, I have a retention pond at the rear corner of my lot and my lot
slopes 14' diagonally towards this corner so flow should not be a
problem. I intend to run it to there or would it be better to just
terminate each run under ground with perforated pipe and a french
drain?

Thanks.
Curtis

Old 18-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Phisherman

There are several books describing this process, most of them very
similar.

Old 19-04-2005, 02:25 AM
Salty Thumb

"Curtis" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I think I have decided that I am going to go ahead and use
corrugated HDPE pipe however I am going to ensure that it is at least
12" underground. Now, the question, if I use this pipe with filter
sock, do I still need to bury it in gravel as well? Would I be better
served useing HDPE with no perforations for my longer runs? Like I
said, I have a retention pond at the rear corner of my lot and my lot
slopes 14' diagonally towards this corner so flow should not be a
problem. I intend to run it to there or would it be better to just
terminate each run under ground with perforated pipe and a french
drain?

Thanks.
Curtis

If you read the sales literature for the drain sock, I believe it says it
eliminates the need for a gravel/sand bed etc.

[IMG] code is On

Replace Concrete with a Lawn In a WET area With Poor Drainage pookey United Kingdom 14 09-08-2006 02:12 PM
Drainage for a lawn on clay soil BIGTOM United Kingdom 11 22-04-2006 05:56 AM
Lawn drainage Jack Gardening 1 23-10-2005 06:22 PM
Under lawn drainage Dave United Kingdom 2 16-04-2004 02:34 PM
[IBC] Drainage and other unfortunate mysteries (was : Bonsai Today article on drainage) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 6 23-12-2003 06:42 PM