Old 16-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Grass in a once woody area

This spring I took down 2 trees, one old dead maple that was covered
in poison ivy and a pine that was in the worst possible place in the
yard. Now that each of these areas is cleaned up I want to get some
grass growing. Oh, poison ivy vines are @#$$#%. The tree was coated,
and when I raked the leaves and mess under it they were everywhere.
Some vines were 2" thick. All done now.

Anyway, here's what I need to do:
1) get grass growing where a pine tree once stood. I've raked the
soil, the pine needles are gone and the soil is bare. how should I
prep it? It's an area about 15' in diameter. I was going to hit it
with some lime. If I lime it, do I spread it, then work it in then
plant? Or spread it, work it in, wait a while, then plant?

2) the area were the maple was is a E facing slope about 6' high and
30' long....sloped about 45 degrees. I was going to rake all of the
leaves out, then seed, cover with hay, water, and let it go. should
this do the trick, or is there anything else I need to do?

I'm in Asheville, NC, zone 6.
Old 17-04-2005, 01:53 PM
fran

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:18:07 -0400, "
rickm wrote:

. Oh, poison ivy vines are @#$$#%.

Hate that stuff - all I have to do is get near it and I itch for a
month :{

Anyway, here's what I need to do:
1) get grass growing where a pine tree once stood. I've raked the
soil, the pine needles are gone and the soil is bare. how should I
prep it? It's an area about 15' in diameter. I was going to hit it
with some lime. If I lime it, do I spread it, then work it in then
plant? Or spread it, work it in, wait a while, then plant?

Spread, work it in, wait until the next good rain, plant.

2) the area were the maple was is a E facing slope about 6' high and
30' long....sloped about 45 degrees. I was going to rake all of the
leaves out, then seed, cover with hay, water, and let it go. should
this do the trick, or is there anything else I need to do?

With that slope, I'd plant with crown vetch instead of grass - it's
going to be a royal *!&^% to mow.

I'm in Asheville, NC, zone 6.

Old 17-04-2005, 05:19 PM

rickm wrote:

. Oh, poison ivy vines are @#$$#%.

Hate that stuff - all I have to do is get near it and I itch for a
month :{

Not me, I could roll around naked in it. For now anyway, one day it
will catch up with me. It's totally all done, the soil raked clean
and ready.

2) the area were the maple was is a E facing slope about 6' high and
30' long....sloped about 45 degrees. I was going to rake all of the
leaves out, then seed, cover with hay, water, and let it go. should
this do the trick, or is there anything else I need to do?

With that slope, I'd plant with crown vetch instead of grass - it's
going to be a royal *!&^% to mow.

I'm going with grass....vetch can be invasive. Grass for now, at the
top of the slope I'm putting a line of azaleas. I should just pave it.

Old 18-04-2005, 01:09 AM
fran

wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 12:18:07 -0400, "