Old 16-04-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Shall I use Roundup - weed killer now or later?

Greetings! What is the best time to use Roundup - now [in middle of
April 2005] before the weeds grow or after the weeds have grown? I live
in Mississippi. With thanks.

Old 16-04-2005, 07:15 PM
madgardener

wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings! What is the best time to use Roundup - now [in middle of
April 2005] before the weeds grow or after the weeds have grown? I live
in Mississippi. With thanks.

When the temperatures are consistantly 72o which makes the plants more
inclined to absorb the glyphosphates. To make it "stick" better, if you
don't have the "rain proof" RoundUp, add a tablespoon of liquid dish
detergent (what you use on your sink dishes, not the machine stuff) to the
batch you're making up (six ounces to one gallon, no more or much less as
it's a measured amount that actually works, since the rule of thumb would be
thought to be :"hmmm if six ounces is good, then twelve would be better..."
it's the precise amounts that work chemically. No flames please. It's what
they taught me in Master Gardening class...I'm NOT a chemist.

On the other hand, you're in Mississippi, it's already into the season
there, you should have used pre-emergents early in your season which I would
hazard to guess would have been in late February.......(not knowing your
growing zone) Preen, and pre-emerging weed killers work when the plants and
seeds are germinating early at the end of winter's rest. The RoundUp works
when the plants dormancy is over and growth is active, which is why I said
it works better when it's consistantly 72o F outside.
Hope this helps! (there is a newer batch of RoundUp out that says it works
overnight...........not sure, but worth a try, but read the mixing
instructions first.

madgardener in zone 7, Sunset zone 36, Eastern Tennessee

Old 17-04-2005, 02:02 AM

the effectiveness of roundup greatly depends on species and growth
stage, but it defnitely does NOT work best on mature plants. It works
best on plants that are actively growing. You can use roundup at
temperatures much lower than the 72 degrees mentioned in a previous
post. It will take longer for it to kill the plants, but I assure you
it still works. In response to mad gardener, precise amounts do work
better, however, with roundup, a stronger soulution DOES make a
difference. I use roundup alot in the nursery and usually use a 2%
mix. This has little effect on things like nutsedge, horsetail, and
many perennial weeds. Upping it to 5 or even 10% makes a huge
difference and also makes it work faster.

Toad

Old 17-04-2005, 04:33 PM

The best time to apply is after reading the label.

Dry day, no wind, no rain in the next 24 hours, plants actively
growing, outdoor temps closer to room temp.

Old 18-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Leon Trollski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings! What is the best time to use Roundup - now [in middle of
April 2005] before the weeds grow or after the weeds have grown? I live
in Mississippi. With thanks.

Consider why you may have so many weeds. Is it a case of neglect, wrong
grass type, wrong soil type?

Weeds are symptomatic of another problem, roundup will solve your issues but
non-chemical solutions are better for you, your land and your environment in
the long run.

Sorry to sound like an insufferable tree-hugger.