GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Bulb type--importance (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92545-growing-bulb-type-importance.html)

netrat 16-04-2005 07:56 PM

Growing Bulb type--importance

I finally decided a growing light system would make my gardening life
easier so I shopped for the best I could find and ended up with PL
Lights from the Netherlands,reviewed as the best system
for my needs with Sun IX System as the second choice.

It's the HPS version and I ordered it with the standard HPS bulb even
though the PL light company also manufactures the Hortilux(sp) light
bulb which I found out after I ordered :( I may have been able to save
a few $$ ordering that bulb with the system..who knows.

Ok,my question is,will the standard HPS bulb have enough of the proper
light spectrum to suffice through the whole growing process(orchids and
tomatoes etc:)until I upgrade? In any case for future reference,what
are the reliable online discount houses to purchase HPS type Bulbs?

Dave Jackson 17-04-2005 03:29 PM

I'd suggest augumenting with florescent to provide the blue-white spectrum.
HPS provides "hot colors" , florescent provides "cold colors" resulting in a
full spectrum. Metal halide may also be used in place of
lorescent. --dave

oups.com...

S Orth 23-04-2005 12:23 AM

Years ago, a researcher at the Univ. of Wis. (wish I could remember his
name, dang!) found that using one cool and one warm fluorescent tube
together provided adequate light. Works great for me, and it's vastly less
expensive than gro-lights, full spectrum, etc.

Suzy in Wis., Zone 5

oups.com...