Old 17-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Sandy Tipper

Default Siberian Crab Apple won't bloom

We have a Columnar Siberan ceab apple, doing very nicely as far as leaves
go.
The year we planted it, it bloomed, and the next year. But for two oe three
years since, there have only een at most 20 blossoms or so.
It only gets morning and noon sun, but another one up the street in simiar
light snd worse soil bloo ms spectacularly every year. Could it need
fertilizing? With what?

Thanks,
Sandy in Toronto

Old 18-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Tipper
We have a Columnar Siberan ceab apple, doing very nicely as far as leaves
go.
The year we planted it, it bloomed, and the next year. But for two oe three
years since, there have only een at most 20 blossoms or so.
It only gets morning and noon sun, but another one up the street in simiar
light snd worse soil bloo ms spectacularly every year. Could it need
fertilizing? With what?

Thanks,
Sandy in Toronto
Maybe hold back with the fertiliser. I just read an article this morning on crab apples, in which the author (Monty Don - a gardening writer and presenter in the UK) says you shouldn't enrich the soil that crabs are planted it. In poorer soil they put their energy into flowering, whereas in rich soil they concentrate on leaf production.
Old 23-04-2005, 12:30 AM
S Orth

If it gets at least 6 hrs of sun, it should suffice. As far as fertilizer,
use something higher in phosphorus than the other 2 ingredients, typically
what is sold for flowering plants. If you've been fertilizing your lawn
beneath the tree, it's likely getting more nitrogen, which would lead to
lots of green growth, but very little for flowering.

Hope this helps!
Suzy in Wis., zone 5

"Sandy Tipper" wrote in message
We have a Columnar Siberan ceab apple, doing very nicely as far as leaves
go.
The year we planted it, it bloomed, and the next year. But for two oe
three years since, there have only een at most 20 blossoms or so.
It only gets morning and noon sun, but another one up the street in simiar
light snd worse soil bloo ms spectacularly every year. Could it need
fertilizing? With what?

Thanks,
Sandy in Toronto

[IMG] code is On

ID the crab apple - pic Greg Miller Gardening 3 15-11-2004 05:53 PM
[IBC] Crab apple root gall kevin bailey Bonsai 46 14-03-2004 09:07 PM
Crab apple - no new branches Snowman United Kingdom 2 19-09-2003 05:13 PM
[IBC] Siberian Crab Dylan Blew Bonsai 1 30-05-2003 04:32 PM
Crab Apple Tree - Stunting Fruit Growth Heather Gardening 3 15-04-2003 02:44 PM