Old 17-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Andrew Pimlott

Default identify a possible begonia

I inherited a plant that looks like this:

http://www-mslmb.niddk.nih.gov/ronni...es/begonia.htm

The photographer of this image identifies it as a Begonia. However, I'm
suspicious, because I scanned through 20 pages of google image search
for "begonia", and none of the other images look like this.

So can anyone on this list help me? Is this really a begonia, and if
so, what variety? Or is it something else?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
I've decided to go back to school. Kindergarden.
Old 21-05-2005, 01:56 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Pimlott
I inherited a plant that looks like this:

http://www-mslmb.niddk.nih.gov/ronni...es/begonia.htm

The photographer of this image identifies it as a Begonia. However, I'm suspicious, because I scanned through 20 pages of google image search for "begonia", and none of the other images look like this.

So can anyone on this list help me? Is this really a begonia, and if so, what variety? Or is it something else?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I'm sure that isn't a begonia. I thought it might be some sort of Iresine, but I don't think so as their colors are more vairable.
http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/...atalog/cat.cgi

Did you find out what it is?
Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 30-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Suzy O

Looks like a fittonia to me:
http://www.gardenshop.gr/fyta/library/fittonia.htm.

Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

http://tinyurl.com/ab7zq

The photographer of this image identifies it as a Begonia. However,
I'm suspicious, because I scanned through 20 pages of google image
search for "begonia", and none of the other images look like this.

So can anyone on this list help me? Is this really a begonia, and if
so, what variety? Or is it something else?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I'm sure that isn't a begonia. I thought it might be some sort of
Iresine, but I don't think so as their colors are more vairable.
http://tinyurl.com/3kvdf

Did you find out what it is?
Newt

--