GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what is this growing in my yard? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92724-what-growing-my-yard.html)

Dawn 19-04-2005 09:08 PM

what is this growing in my yard?

I spotted this broadleaf weed in the side garden the other day. I don't
think I've ever seen it in the yard before. Can anyone identify it? I'm
talking about the big fuzzy heart-shaped leaves near the center of the
photo. The largest must be 5" long.

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/weeds.jpg

Dawn

sue and dave 19-04-2005 09:35 PM

Looks like common burdock to me, a nasty with a taproot that'll make the
dandelion it's snuggled up with look tame.

if you have dogs or cats that are outside, this one in seed is a pet coat
nightmare. Don't let it flower or go to seed. This is one I freely paint
with an herbicide, but you may have different priorities RE chemicals.

Sue
Western Maine

Dawn 20-04-2005 05:20 PM

sue and dave wrote:

Looks like common burdock to me, a nasty with a taproot that'll make the
dandelion it's snuggled up with look tame.

if you have dogs or cats that are outside, this one in seed is a pet coat
nightmare. Don't let it flower or go to seed. This is one I freely paint
with an herbicide, but you may have different priorities RE chemicals.

Ah, it's that big purple thistle thing. Thanks. I'm going to be using
herbicide a lot in that area, dandelions, mulberry, bindweed and the
aggressive honeysuckle....

Dawn