Old 20-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Polly Purebred

Default Looking for a taller, cascading annual

Greetings All,

I'm looking for ideas for a cascading annual for a raised flower bed.
The top of the soil is about 7-8 inches below the top of the
landscaping
timbers, so I need a flower that will grow fairly tall before it
cascades over the timbers. It's for the front of the bed and will have
other flowers behind it, so it can't be too tall. Also, it can't be
too invasive. I'll need to be able to snip it back if too long, and
train it to go one direction (over the timbers). I don't want it
spreading in all directions, if you get me.

Yes, I know all about petunias, and I have lots of petunias, but I want
something different here. Zone 6, full sun. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Polly

Old 20-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Doug Kanter

"Polly Purebred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings All,

I'm looking for ideas for a cascading annual for a raised flower bed.
The top of the soil is about 7-8 inches below the top of the
landscaping
timbers, so I need a flower that will grow fairly tall before it
cascades over the timbers. It's for the front of the bed and will have
other flowers behind it, so it can't be too tall. Also, it can't be
too invasive. I'll need to be able to snip it back if too long, and
train it to go one direction (over the timbers). I don't want it
spreading in all directions, if you get me.

Yes, I know all about petunias, and I have lots of petunias, but I want
something different here. Zone 6, full sun. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Polly

How about Nasturtium? Unless you have an aphid invasion, there's nothing not
to like about them. Colorful, smell good, and you can eat them, too.

Old 20-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Polly Purebred

Thanks to both Doug and Cheryl! The Nasturtium looks like it might be
absolutely perfect for this area and I've never grown them before. I
think I'll definitely give them a try. The amaranth would be too tall,
but it's another that I think I'll try this year in another area to
completment some of my taller 'round' flowers.

I just love trying a few new plants out every year. It's so much fun!
:-) This area, though, has been a real thorn in my side for a couple
of years, as I just can't seem to find the perfect plants for the front
of this bed.
I'm anxious to try out the nasturtium.

Thanks again,

Polly

Old 22-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Lawns 9 26-05-2008 08:08 PM
Where can I find mowers that can mow taller? Sarah Houston Gardening 3 24-05-2008 02:41 PM
Sod getting taller! PSMSR Gardening 2 09-07-2007 10:42 AM
how to keep Japanese maple from growing taller? peter Gardening 5 11-01-2006 11:18 AM
spinach standing taller--bolting? DigitalVinyl Gardening 3 09-06-2005 01:42 AM