Old 20-04-2005, 04:26 PM
titanandrews

Default Mowing after overseeding

Hi,

I have posted several times to this newsgroups about overseeding and
you guys have been very helpful! Thanks! Hopefully this will be the
last post about this particular subject.

The grass that I overseeded 31/2 weeks ago is now about 3" high in
most places. It looks very fragile though. I guess this is normal for
new grass? I was just wondering if mowing with a riding lawnmower will
damage the new grass. I really need to mow, because the weeds and other
grass are getting a little out of hand.

Also, is it really necessary to water every day after the new grass
has germinated and is growing? How much water is recommended?

thanks again,

Old 21-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Chuckie

As long as the ground is not soft enough to sink your mower you should
be fine.
Go ahead and mow it will be good for the grass.
I would not reccomend watering everyday, if you have a decent amount of
rain you may not need to water at all.
At this time of year you don't generaly need a lot of water.
Chukie zone 5

Old 21-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

titanandrews said:

The grass that I overseeded 31/2 weeks ago is now about 3" high in
most places. It looks very fragile though. I guess this is normal for
new grass? I was just wondering if mowing with a riding lawnmower will
damage the new grass. I really need to mow, because the weeds and other
grass are getting a little out of hand.

Mow tall, and (most importantly!) before you hit the lawn,
*sharpen the mower blade*.

Dull blades can shred the grass rather than cut it. Not good.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Phisherman

New grass normally is very fine, it will get darker and tougher with
time. Sharpen your blade and mow when the ground is not soggy. Back
off on the watering to 1" per week (either rain or watering).