Old 21-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Forsythia in Bloom

This year my Forsythia had the most blooms in the over 12 years I've
lived here. When I moved here this bush was already over 10 years old so
its old. I've been struggling taming this bush for the last 7 years and
last year I got so frustrated with it I almost chopped the entire bush
down. Then I went to google to figure out how to prune it. Paghat's
site was in the first page of links when I used "pruning forsythia" as
keywords. I learned to just let the bush be and do nothing. This spring
it has the most flowers I have ever seen. Here's a pic:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/forsythia.jpg

Old 21-04-2005, 01:15 AM
James

Do these bushes require full sun ???

Nice picture !!!

--James--

Old 21-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:34:46 -0500, Mark Anderson wrote:

This year my Forsythia had the most blooms in the over 12 years I've lived
here. When I moved here this bush was already over 10 years old so its
old. I've been struggling taming this bush for the last 7 years and last
year I got so frustrated with it I almost chopped the entire bush down.
Then I went to google to figure out how to prune it. Paghat's site was in
the first page of links when I used "pruning forsythia" as keywords. I
learned to just let the bush be and do nothing. This spring it has the
most flowers I have ever seen. Here's a pic:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/forsythia.jpg

Congrats! You should see the one's in my neighborhood!

I have burning bushes instead.

Old 21-04-2005, 06:49 AM
madgardener

now if you want to see what NO pruning will do for forsythia's that are
spaced the right amount, give me a holler and I'll send you a picture of my
neighbor's down the road whose forsythia's are over 50 years old and never
been whacked. This year they were awesome..............
madgardener, who finally totally removed one 35 year old forsythia and still
has the other one that I prune a third out of every year since moving here
ten years ago
.net...

Old 21-04-2005, 06:50 AM
madgardener

yes they do.........., but I have a rooted branch down in my filtered woods
and it's doing nicely with the indirect south and western sunlight..........
madgardener, zone 7, Eastern TEnnessee, Sunset zone 36

Old 22-04-2005, 02:59 PM

forsythia need to be whacked back, renewal pruning so there is fresh wood for
flowers. About 12 years ago I got fed up with my mothers forsythia "row" that wasnt
doing anything (despite being in the sun). I ordered 4 different varieties of
forsythia specific for our area (zone 5) and planted them and waited to see which one
did the best. One of them was superior in quality and quantity of flowering. that
one I propagated (they root sooo easily). In the meantime I removed the row of
forsythia that was there, I put rabbit fencing up along the entire line of new ones
(rabbit chewing newer wood results in little to no flowers), fertilized and mulched.
6 years ago I moved out and they were not pruned at all, but this year again they are
magnificent altho they are also totally out of control. Ingrid

Mark Anderson wrote:

This year my Forsythia had the most blooms in the over 12 years I've
lived here. When I moved here this bush was already over 10 years old so
its old. I've been struggling taming this bush for the last 7 years and
last year I got so frustrated with it I almost chopped the entire bush
down. Then I went to google to figure out how to prune it. Paghat's
site was in the first page of links when I used "pruning forsythia" as
keywords. I learned to just let the bush be and do nothing. This spring
it has the most flowers I have ever seen. Here's a pic:

http://www.brandylion.com/images/forsythia.jpg

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 25-04-2005, 03:54 PM

I think getting cuttings from those perfect bushes at the neighbors would be a great
way of getting the "right stuff". either with permission or late, late at night in
dark clothing... LOL. INgrid

Mark Anderson wrote:

In article says...
Do these bushes require full sun ???

For awhile I thought that in order to bloom they needed a lot of sun. In
the spring when I walked around the neighborhood, so many Forsythias had
huge clumps of flowers while mine struggled with 2 or 3 on a couple of
branches. My Forsythia is located on the north side of the building and
although it may get some early morning sun, in mid April, it doesn't get
full sun until around 2pm till sunset around 7:30pm. Last year I took
cuttings (and these bushes are extremely easy to grow from cuttings) and
started 3 more bushes in better locations for spring sun. Although,
after just leaving the bush be, this year it had the most flowers and I
think next year it might have even more. I made some room for it to grow
some more so I'm just leaving it alone.

Some people in my neighborhood have these bushes that look perfectly
groomed and still fill the entire bush with bunches of flowers each
spring. I don't know how they manage that.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at