GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   REDBUDS and DOGWOODS (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92778-redbuds-dogwoods.html)

bittersmitty 21-04-2005 02:57 AM

REDBUDS and DOGWOODS

Hello, I purchased 4 white dogwoods and two redbud's (along with 3
other trees) all are 5 feet tall and have what looks like good form
with nice branches. I planted them about 3 weeks ago as I thought we
were through with any really cold weather. All of the other the trees
have started to sprout some new life but the dogwoods and the
redbud's have not. I planted them according to the instructions I was
given and water them every other 2-3 days really well. I hope that I
didn't hurt them by planting them to soon. Does anyone have
experience with new smaller trees and planting. I am in zone 6 and
the soil is just amazing, I am in grape growing country.
can someone tell me if the are going to be ok ? I really hope so, I
love these types of trees and hope I will see them grow into big
beautiful trees.
Thanks RJ's

Travis 21-04-2005 06:07 AM

bittersmitty wrote:
Hello, I purchased 4 white dogwoods and two redbud's (along with 3
other trees) all are 5 feet tall and have what looks like good form
with nice branches. I planted them about 3 weeks ago as I thought we
were through with any really cold weather. All of the other the
trees have started to sprout some new life but the dogwoods and the
redbud's have not. I planted them according to the instructions I
was given and water them every other 2-3 days really well. I hope
that I didn't hurt them by planting them to soon. Does anyone have
experience with new smaller trees and planting. I am in zone 6 and
the soil is just amazing, I am in grape growing country.
can someone tell me if the are going to be ok ? I really hope so, I
love these types of trees and hope I will see them grow into big
beautiful trees.
Thanks RJ's

If the ground was not frozen when you planted them they should be fine.
They probably don't need that much water. After they break dormancy is
when they will need to be watered but not so much they are in a puddle.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Frogleg 21-04-2005 11:13 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:07:48 GMT, "Travis"
wrote:

bittersmitty wrote:
Hello, I purchased 4 white dogwoods and two redbud's

I planted them according to the instructions I
was given and water them every other 2-3 days really well.

If the ground was not frozen when you planted them they should be fine.
They probably don't need that much water. After they break dormancy is
when they will need to be watered but not so much they are in a puddle.

BUT young dogwoods need a good amount of moisture, and will succumb to
drought much more quickly than older trees. Don't puddle, but don't
let get too dry, either. They *are* beautiful trees in every season.
Good luck with yours.

Newt 22-04-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bittersmitty
Hello, I purchased 4 white dogwoods and two redbud's (along with 3 other trees) all are 5 feet tall and have what looks like good form with nice branches. I planted them about 3 weeks ago as I thought we were through with any really cold weather. All of the other the trees have started to sprout some new life but the dogwoods and the redbud's have not. I planted them according to the instructions I was given and water them every other 2-3 days really well. I hope that I didn't hurt them by planting them to soon. Does anyone have experience with new smaller trees and planting. I am in zone 6 and the soil is just amazing, I am in grape growing country. can someone tell me if the are going to be ok ? I really hope so, I love these types of trees and hope I will see them grow into big beautiful trees.
Thanks RJ's

This site shows how to care for newly planted bare root trees, including watering. Once a week should be adequate.
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refplant.htm

For trees with a rootball.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/07226.html
http://www.watersaver.org/pdfs/FALL_..._FOR_TREES.pdf