Old 21-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Ronnie DaFeo

Default How to identify succulents?

I've been on a succulent trip recently and have acquired half a dozen
different succulents including living rocks, aloe, baby toes (my
favorite so far but finicky), and three that didn't have species
labels when I bought them. I have no idea how to search for them on
the Internet, succulent-oriented sites may list thousands of species
but I have no clue how to narrow my search based on appearance. I
suppose I could take photos of them and post them on a website for
y'all to identify, but I would like a resource where I could look up
unknown plants. Thanks for any help!

Old 23-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Ann Knight

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 04:54:16 UTC, "Ronnie DaFeo"
wrote:

I would like a resource where I could look up unknown plants.

Got a local library? The internet isn't always the quickest or
easiest way to do research.

--
No one died when Clinton lied.

Old 25-04-2005, 03:30 PM
LisaTWade

Get the book "Succulents: The Illustrated Dictionary" from the library.
It is extremely helpful. Or post your pictures of them online and
I'll try to help you.

Old 25-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Surely you are making a joke, Lisa.

The book to which you refer is so full of errors, typos and bad pictures
that it is worthless for correct identification.

Like I said, your best bet is the various Yahoo groups.

oups.com...

Old 26-04-2005, 05:48 AM
LisaTWade

I was not making a joke or I'd have said LOL in my post. He can check
the book then do internet image searches to double check what he thinks
they might be.

Old 26-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Cereus-validus.....

You made another joke, Lisa. How very funny you are. The names on your
plants must be a laugh riot.

The majority of pix of succulents on the internet are posted by amateurs and
they are misidentified too. Probably its because they used that awful
picture book as their source for the names in the first place!!! How can he
verify if they are correct if he doesn't know if the pix on the internet are
correctly named?

It is much better he use the Yahoo groups that specialize in succulent
plants.

oups.com...

Old 26-04-2005, 04:46 PM
LisaTWade

I do not appreciate your insults of me or my plants. Please do not
reply to or comment on any of my posts in the future. Find someone
else to make fun of.

Old 26-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Cereus-validus.....

ROTFLMAO!

Yada, yada, yada, Lisa Lisa.

Excuse me as I fart in your general direction.

If you don't want to be mocked, just don't say silly things.

Its just that simple, you twinkie.

oups.com...

Old 27-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Ann

"LisaTWade" expounded:

I do not appreciate your insults of me or my plants. Please do not
reply to or comment on any of my posts in the future. Find someone
else to make fun of.

Lisa, Usenet doesn't work that way. Just ignore him, put him in your
killfile, but don't continue to reply to him if you don't want to be
taunted, he'll just keep going.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 27-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Cereus-validus.....

Ann, you are such a party pooper.

How can you walk with that huge arthropod up your posterior?

"LisaTWade" expounded:

Old 27-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Suzy O

Guess I missed it when this group was renamed rec.gardens.be-mean. Tsk,
tsk. It's always ok to disagree, but why turn it into a ****ing contest?

Suzy O

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
. ..
ROTFLMAO!

Yada, yada, yada, Lisa Lisa.

Excuse me as I fart in your general direction.

If you don't want to be mocked, just don't say silly things.

Its just that simple, you twinkie.

oups.com...

Old 27-04-2005, 04:44 AM
Cereus-validus.....

rec.gardens.be-mean

How lame, Suzy Q.

Would you rather it was a farting contest?

This isn't rec.gardens.Twinkies-rule either.

The question asked by the original poster was answered long ago. Its you
dizzy bimbettes that insist on taking the conversation to the extremely
stupid. Just let it go and start a new subject line if you biddies want to
go off-topic. None of you are bright enough nor interesting enough to be the
center of any worthwhile discussion.

"Suzy O" wrote in message
Guess I missed it when this group was renamed rec.gardens.be-mean. Tsk,
tsk. It's always ok to disagree, but why turn it into a ****ing contest?

Suzy O

"Cereus-validus....." wrote in message
. ..
ROTFLMAO!

Yada, yada, yada, Lisa Lisa.

Excuse me as I fart in your general direction.

If you don't want to be mocked, just don't say silly things.

Its just that simple, you twinkie.

"LisaTWade" wrote in message
oups.com...
I do not appreciate your insults of me or my plants. Please do not
reply to or comment on any of my posts in the future. Find someone
else to make fun of.

[IMG] code is On

Mini cacti & succulents *picture link* Brian Gardening 1 09-04-2004 03:02 PM
Succulents Katra Edible Gardening 0 21-03-2004 10:32 PM
Cacti, Succulents, and Lithops and Other Exotics Shell91 Gardening 4 19-11-2003 02:42 PM
[IBC] succulents as bonsai Peter Le Roux Bonsai 3 30-08-2003 07:12 PM
[IBC] succulents as bonsai Craig Cowing Bonsai 15 29-08-2003 08:42 PM