Old 21-04-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Monstera Deliciosa yellow leaves. Help pls?

I thought it might be overwatering, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not
now, and poor old Chester is still turning yellow from the bottom up.
Is there anything that I can do to counteract the overwatering that I
might have done?
I've ordered a moisture probe, so the guesswork will be taken out of
watering soon, but I'm starting to get a little concerned that I've
killed him!!!
Ta for any advice,
Mike

Old 22-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I thought it might be overwatering, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not
now, and poor old Chester is still turning yellow from the bottom up.
Is there anything that I can do to counteract the overwatering that I might have done?
I've ordered a moisture probe, so the guesswork will be taken out of watering soon, but I'm starting to get a little concerned that I've killed him!!!
Ta for any advice,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Is Chester a houseplant? If so the yellow leaves could be just part of the growing pattern with the older leaves dying off, the plant is rootbound and needs to be repotted or a nutrient problem. Generally a nutrient problem would show in the newly emerging leaves.

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 23-04-2005, 06:20 PM
J. Davidson

Has anyone ever eaten the fruit from the Monstera Deliciosa?
Jackie

Old 24-04-2005, 03:13 PM

Cheers Newt - yes, Chester is a swiss cheese plant - and the new leaves
seem to be fine. Perhaps he needs repotting - it's been about 18 months
since he was put into his current pot. I'll give it a try. Many thanks,
Mike

Old 24-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Cheers Newt - yes, Chester is a swiss cheese plant - and the new leaves
seem to be fine. Perhaps he needs repotting - it's been about 18 months since he was put into his current pot. I'll give it a try. Many thanks,
Mike

Mike, you are very welcome! If you go to repot Chester and find he's not rootbound, let us know.
Newt
__________________

Old 04-05-2005, 04:22 PM

Just to let you know - he was very rootbound. Hopefully the coulour
should come back into the leaf that's just started to turn. We'll see.
Anyway - thanks again for advice.
Mike

Old 04-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Just to let you know - he was very rootbound. Hopefully the coulour
should come back into the leaf that's just started to turn. We'll see. Anyway - thanks again for advice.
Mike
Mike, you are very welcome. If the new leaf is just a pale green it should darken up as it ages. If it's yellow it won't turn green.

Thanks for the update! Give my regards to Chester.
Newt
__________________
Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Rhonda Anderson

"J. Davidson" wrote in news:OJ8ee.10212$iU.1924
@lakeread05:

Has anyone eaten the fruit from this plant?
Jackie

Yes, many years ago. As a child I remember my father bringing the fruit
of this home on several occasions. Perhaps a colleague gave them to him.
The plant is known as "fruit salad plant" here, and IIRC it's an
appropriate name - the fruit tasted like a combination of tropical
fruits. Mostly I remember the smell of the fruits, though - very
aromatic.

On searching out some information I found that you should only eat ripe
fruit - the unripe fruit and other parts of the plant are high in oxalic
acid and will irritate the mouth and throat. You will know when the fruit
is ripe enough as the skin starts to fall off by itself. Not for the
impatient, though - the fruit takes about 12 months from flowering to
maturity.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/business/8392.html
http://www.foodreference.com/html/fceriman.html
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/fruit_garden/113931