Old 22-04-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Help identifying these flowers

http://whatflower.blogspot.com/

These came from a seed package, I'm sure, but I can't ID them. A couple
of them came up with the blue petals (5), another just came up with the
white petals (20).

12" - 18" tall

Green-purple fruit appeared right after flower.

Many thanks. (BTW, this is South Texas.)

Old 22-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
http://whatflower.blogspot.com/

These came from a seed package, I'm sure, but I can't ID them. A couple of them came up with the blue petals (5), another just came up with the white petals (20).

12" - 18" tall

Green-purple fruit appeared right after flower.

Many thanks. (BTW, this is South Texas.)

Nigella damascena - devil in the bush, nigella, Jack in the green, love-in-a-mist, magnolia seeds, ragged lady.

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/NigelDamas.php

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 22-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Jacqueline Cahoon

On 22 Apr 2005 12:04:08 -0700, wrote:

http://whatflower.blogspot.com/

These came from a seed package, I'm sure, but I can't ID them. A couple
of them came up with the blue petals (5), another just came up with the
white petals (20).

12" - 18" tall

Green-purple fruit appeared right after flower.

Many thanks. (BTW, this is South Texas.)

I know! I know! [jumping up & down waving my hand]

They're a Nigella species, commonly known as love-in-a-mist, and are
an annual here (SW PA, USDA zone 6a). Mine reseed *very* freely and
would take over if not thinned. But they're really lovely in large
groups.

Old 23-04-2005, 03:09 AM
S Orth

I think this is your plant, Nigella damascena. The flowers are lovely and
the dried seed heads are quite popular in dried arrangements:
http://www.zanthan.com/gardens/plants/nigella.html

Hope this helps!
Suzy in Wis., zone 5

ups.com...