Old 23-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Denny

Default Question re Transplanting Tulips

Hello, last summer I had a new sidewalk and porch built in front of my
house along with a new flower bed. In the fall I planted bulbs of
hyacinth, daffodils and tulips. They are blooming nicely, except for
the daffodils (which is the subject for another post). In my bcak yard,
there is a mound of earth which the contractor dug up from the front.
From this mound, there are about a half dozen beautiful yellow tulips

which must have been from the old flower bed. I'd like to move these
tulips to the front of the house to "join" the others.

My question is: can I safely transplant the tulips now while they are
blooming? Or, is it better to wait until they're done, remove the bulbs
and re-plant in the fall? What's the best way to store the bulbs until
planting time?

Many thanks.
Denny

Old 23-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Travis

Denny wrote:
Hello, last summer I had a new sidewalk and porch built in front of
my house along with a new flower bed. In the fall I planted bulbs of
hyacinth, daffodils and tulips. They are blooming nicely, except for
the daffodils (which is the subject for another post). In my bcak
yard, there is a mound of earth which the contractor dug up from
the front.
From this mound, there are about a half dozen beautiful yellow
tulips

which must have been from the old flower bed. I'd like to move these
tulips to the front of the house to "join" the others.

My question is: can I safely transplant the tulips now while they
are blooming? Or, is it better to wait until they're done, remove
the bulbs and re-plant in the fall? What's the best way to store
the bulbs until planting time?

Many thanks.
Denny

After the foliage has died down this summer or early fall would be the
best time to move the tulips.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 24-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Denny wrote:
Hello, last summer I had a new sidewalk and porch built in front of my house along with a new flower bed. In the fall I planted bulbs of hyacinth, daffodils and tulips. They are blooming nicely, except for the daffodils (which is the subject for another post). In my bcak yard, there is a mound of earth which the contractor dug up from the front. From this mound, there are about a half dozen beautiful yellow tulipswhich must have been from the old flower bed. I'd like to move these tulips to the front of the house to "join" the others.

My question is: can I safely transplant the tulips now while they are blooming? Or, is it better to wait until they're done, remove the bulbs and re-plant in the fall? What's the best way to store the bulbs until planting time?

Many thanks.
Denny

After the foliage has died down this summer or early fall would be the best time to move the tulips.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
It would probably be best to dig them after the leaves have yellowed so you can find them which is about 6 weeks after bloom. Dig deep and wide so you don't stab them. You can plant them immediately where you want them.

Newt
__________________
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 24-04-2005, 01:07 AM

This is not the best time, that would be in late summer when the
foliage is gone.
However if you can get a full spit of soil with the plant and it's
roots intact you might get away with moving them now, do it during a
rainy day or two.

[IMG] code is On

Tulips ? What tulips ? Terry Coombs Gardening 14 29-03-2016 04:43 PM
Digging up perfectly good tulips (was Moving tulips) Bill Oliver Gardening 16 01-06-2003 07:56 PM
Transplanting tulips Don Phillipson Gardening 1 12-05-2003 05:20 PM
tulips question seeking Lawns 1 20-04-2003 12:51 PM
tulips question seeking Gardening 1 20-04-2003 12:20 AM