GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Using Cedar To Keep Pests Away (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/92996-using-cedar-keep-pests-away.html)

[email protected] 25-04-2005 02:21 AM

Using Cedar To Keep Pests Away

I have been using Cedar chips as mulch over the top of old pine
straw/needles and pine bark as bedding material around my Azaleas,
Camelias, Gardenias and Day Lilies. I've even used it around some of
my Rose bushes. As many insects avoid Cedar, it would seem its use a
natural for gardeners. Is Cedar as good as it seems? (I haven't had
any pest problems.) Does any know of any problems using Cedar chips
around trees, bushes and flowers?

Patrick

Leon Trollski 25-04-2005 06:20 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been using Cedar chips as mulch over the top of old pine
straw/needles and pine bark as bedding material around my Azaleas,
Camelias, Gardenias and Day Lilies. I've even used it around some of
my Rose bushes. As many insects avoid Cedar, it would seem its use a
natural for gardeners. Is Cedar as good as it seems? (I haven't had
any pest problems.) Does any know of any problems using Cedar chips
around trees, bushes and flowers?

Patrick

I've used various cedar mulches in most of our beds. I never thought of the
bug repellant aspect. Just in general any mulch should be kept away from
the crown and bark of any shrub. Any mulch is a must in my view.