GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help diagnose apple problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/93053-help-diagnose-apple-problem.html)

Doob 26-04-2005 03:15 AM

Help diagnose apple problem

I have a white growth on just a few apple leaves on my 1 year old
espaliered apple tree in USDA zone 10B (Ventura CA)

http://www.summerplay.com/images/apple.jpg

My guess is powdery mildew, but I just dont know, It is only in 2
places. I guess I should cut off and spray the baking soda oil spray
on the leaves. What suggestions does anyone have.

Thanks Doug

Charles 26-04-2005 04:23 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:15:50 -0700, Doob
wrote:

I have a white growth on just a few apple leaves on my 1 year old
espaliered apple tree in USDA zone 10B (Ventura CA)

http://www.summerplay.com/images/apple.jpg

My guess is powdery mildew, but I just dont know, It is only in 2
places. I guess I should cut off and spray the baking soda oil spray
on the leaves. What suggestions does anyone have.

Thanks Doug

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r4100311.html

A higher page is worth keeping

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

[email protected] 26-04-2005 06:16 AM

powdery mildew dosent typically show up as a series of specks like
that, and is usually much more opaque. Rub the white spots and see
what happens. If it rubs off, you have powdery mildew. If it dosent,
check the bottom of the leaves for insects. It looks to me like you
have leafhopper damage, though the picture isnt very close up.

toad

Suzy O 27-04-2005 02:32 AM

If not powdery mildew, I suspect aphids, in particular rosy apple aphids.
Try a Google image search for pix and see how you think it compares.

Good luck!
Suzy O

oups.com...